New
Find
Notify
Tools

Japan made 1886 Winchester take down 45/90
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted this on lever actions ! No help ! I have .005 loose fitting at action and barrel after assembly , need information how to cure this problem .

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would contact Winchester first. They might fix it free of charge if think it's a manufacturing error.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With Winchester closed down, do they still do repairs? And if they do, do you really fell comfortable in sending them a gun? I would personally find a good lever action gunsmith who has worked on the older Winchester lever action takedowns and see if they might be able to help. As far as I can tell, they use the same system now as they did 100 years ago, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read the title of this thread again: “JAPAN MADE 1886 Winchester...“

Is this a true Winchester, or is it a modern copy made in Japan, like the 1897 Winchester Shotguns made in China?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:

Is this a true Winchester, or is it a modern copy made in Japan, like the 1897 Winchester Shotguns made in China?

I believe that the current 1885's whether labeled Browning or Winchester are from Japan. I have one of the Brownings, and it is a well made rifle, just as are Browning's shotguns that are made in Japan.

If the high wall was sold under the Winchester label, their repair service should be contacted. That service is sitll in business.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Pete:
quote:

I believe that the current 1885's whether labeled Browning or Winchester are from Japan. I have one of the Brownings, and it is a well made rifle, just as are Browning's shotguns that are made in Japan.

If the high wall was sold under the Winchester label, their repair service should be contacted. That service is sitll in business.

I don’t know the answer, just thought I’d ask the question.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Pete:
quote:

I don’t know the answer, just thought I’d ask the question.

OOPs, I was sure thinking of the wrong rifle. Sorry about that Rick.

None the less if Winchester labeled it, I believe that their warranty service is still in business.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty funny.

I just picked up my mail and my new American Rifleman was in there, and they have an article about the very rifle that this thread is talking about, made for Winchester by a Japanese company.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick 0311 Mine as it states is a 1886 take down ! The American Rifleman is about a 1895 , Mine has a aluminum spacer to connect to the action I don't know if the 95 version is aluminum or steel ? I have not called Winchester Yet !! I was hoping to get some help here before calling Winchester so I had background info beforehand ! then when I call them If I do ? I'll know if I'm being Bull S---ed about this problem ! I have consulted several would be Gunsmiths ! who said to hammer the sides of the aluminum , Well That's not going to happen to my rifle ! I'm thinking about making a new metal piece for the barrel and heat treating it, then grinding it to within +-.0002 for the correct fit !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
concho,

You’re right, brother...I read it wrong. Same Japanese company I think though.

I agree, I wouldn’t be beating on it with a hammer either.

Good luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concho,

PM sent.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
concho,

You’re right, brother...I read it wrong. Same Japanese company I think though.

I agree, I wouldn’t be beating on it with a hammer either.

Good luck!

What the hell is wrong with a hammer? Some of my best friends are hammer mechanics. If it weren't for them, I'd be broke.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote