THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible problems/2 heads are better than one!?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am having these problems dialing in my rifle,and here is what is going on. With my reloads that are loaded as to specs,and all is the same with each one as should be. My first 2 rounds will shoot almost in the same hole,then the 3rd shot will drift,and i expect some differece,but not 1-4" to the left and around 7 oclock. But sometimes its all over after the first 2 shots. This is with all loads and weight bullets. Its a 1916 Danzig mauser 98, with a A&B barrel with an O.D. of .835" at the muzzle. Scope mounts and rings are tight,as all is new. What do you guys think. Crown is perfect as well.but did shoot this target befor
this stared. all srews in action are tight
also.

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot 3 (to get the flier), let the rifle cool completly, and than fire 2 more, do the last 2 group with the first 2?

It sounds to me like your barrel is shifting with heat, and there may also be a spot in the barrel channel that is contacting the tube.

Of course for hunting you should only need 1 round, and never more than 2 (unless your trying to take down the whole herd at once Big Grin ).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responce,but 2 rounds shouldn,t heat the bull barrel enough to do what you said. The barrel is also free floated as well. so?

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote