New
Find
Notify
Tools

purdey vs H&H vs W.R.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what gunhouse is the best: Purdey ans sons, Holland and Holland, Westley Richards, Boss & Co, william Evans

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
They are all about the same. OVER PRICED! Buy the one who's name you like the sound of best.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I'm going to be able to buy any of these companies' products any more than I can become the Pope, but as a journalist who wrote to all three some years ago asking for info, the only one of the three to send a rude reply was Westley Richards. Other members on this forum have reported rude behaviour from Holland & Holland staff and, if I'm right, they own Westley Richards, so the rot must have spread. Do try all three out and let us know your personal experience.

PS If you like very friendly service, you won't go wrong in contacting my good friend Hannes Fanzoj, manager at Johann Fanzoj. I'm no expert on the comparative quality of guns in this price range since I don't own any, but you might find dealing with non British gunmakers a better experience overall.

------------------
Mehul Kamdar

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
It depends entirely what you like. If you're talking ordering a new gun?? I wouldn't even THINK of it.

For a used gun pick the one that fits and looks/feels like you want.

It's like asking if Penthouse or Playboy has the best looking women.

Dealing with any of them today is not an experience usually enjoyed by Americans. *Rude* is sometimes the best you can expect.

<JOHAN>
posted
HI

I would not buy a single one of them as new guns. Perhaps as used. My favorites are BOSS, WR, Rigby, Woodward, Dickson

I have seen guns built during the 1970- 1998 and none of them has impressed me.

I think that Central Europe has much more to offer for a better price and quality. Austria is one good place and soo is Italy, France, Germany, Belgium, Spain.

I would have called Hartman und Weiss in Germany.

In fact many of the "best guns" are only assembled at the shop and much is bought from sub contractors. I don't like the idea of buying things for alot of $$ when the quality is poor and the service is bad and you can get something better for half of the price.

Most of the "gun stores" looks like a clothing store and sells almost everything, but guns.BOSS & CO are the only that have been kind to me.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just vanted a discussion about it. I wrote a letter to each of them, and the only one that answerd was Purdey and H&H. But it was just purdey that answerd with a suitable answer. I got a catalog and ewery thing I asked for. It takes two years to finish a shot gun and four years for a dubbel barrel rifle, And every part of the lock, stock and barrel is fittet with the blacking tecknique. If the engraver do one tiny mistake he must start over again at his 400 hours work. the same is for the stocker.

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had reprehensible treatment from a Purdey sales director when I tried to buy a cartridge pouch. He decided he was going to 'educate' me.

Me 'hello, I'd like to see your cartridge pouches please'

him 'Our what?'

me 'your cartridge pouches, you know the leather things that hold rifle cartridges on your belt'

him in exceedingly condescending tone 'oh you mean metallics a pouch for metallics'

me getting pissed off 'well I call them rifle cartridges but yes that's what I mean'

him 'no we haven't got any of those'

I told someone at Rigby about this. They said that if I ever wanted to get even I should ask about what rifle was used to bag the 2 big trophies in Purdey's long room - the true answer is apparently a Rigby double!

There are some individuals in places like Purdey, Asprey etc who think that because they speak with an educated voice and work in a fine establishment that they are better than those who they serve. Pride is a sin, I do hope St Peter was watching.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I would have been tempted to tell that sales director to take a flying leap........ or something!

The thing I've picked up on when I've visited with some of those snooty characters at hunting conmventions is that many of them are extremely limited when it comes to actual big game hunting experience. I suspect that some of them have done no hunting whatsoever, and very little shooting.

Their real talent lies in a penchant for posturing and faking everyone out (trying to, anyway!) with an arrogant, aloof sales approach, complete with fancy clothes, flippant phrasing, a better-than-thou attitude, etc. - all of the bullshit that doen't mean anything in the bush. I've always resented this phony playacting, even though I love studying the guns these firms produce.

I'd like to place some of these drugstore cowboys (suit and all!) on a western cowpony, haul 'em up a trail, and make 'em climb a mountain or two on foot from there....

AD

posted Hide Post
First time I ever went into H&H in London, I was made to feel like a shoplifter! I was literally followed around the shop (at what they thought was a descrete distance) by a security guard....

After browsing around the various displays, I remember asking one of the sales people if a double rifle marked as ".375" was for the standard or "flanged" round...His face was a picture and he went off to ask someone else.
I got the distinct impression it was staffed by yuppies for yuppies..Their only saving grace is their excellent book department. the staff down there were much more friendly and helpfull.

J Roberts & Sons were completely different.
The could not have been more friendly and helpfull and the staff were first class.
A very big thumbs up for them!

[This message has been edited by Pete E (edited 05-01-2002).]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with H&H was nothing but commendable. E-mailed them about a W.J. Jeffery boxlock I'd come into (they bought Jeffery in 1960) and they sent back a note explaining that the records now were in the hands of J. Robers and Sons, also in London. Included a hotlink, too, and could not have been more helpful. Regarding which house is the best, they all were capable of producing bests and did, though some, like Boss, never built anything but a best gun. So, too, did Grant. Btw, H&H does not own Westley Richards.

[This message has been edited by JoeZ (edited 05-02-2002).]

Posts: 111 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No personal experience with any of these gun makers. Just quoting from the book 'Lock, Stock and Barrels', there are four gunmakers of London who always made best guns and these are Purdey, Boss, Grants and Woodwards.

Saad

Posts: 271 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
If money were no object I would buy shotguns from Purdey, and double rifles from Westley Richards.

None of them make a left handed bolt rifle.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Adams's contention (in 'Lock, Stock & Barrel') that Purdey be listed among makers who made only best guns happens to be wrong. The venerable firm once sold boxlocks, outsourced guns that many could argue fell short of being best guns. That leaves three.

[This message has been edited by JoeZ (edited 05-05-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand that Holland & Holland is now owned by a French company, The Chanel Group; this company owns Chanel perfume, fashions, etc.

Useful information about Holland & Holland and Purdey can be gotten from their websites; go there and then click on the history option:

www.hollandandholland.com
www.purdey.com

I think that both of these gun houses -- and probably all the great British ones -- went through lean times sometimes and had to do things other than building new guns to survive. Purdey, I think, got by at one time by reconditioning service rifles for the British government, and H&H went to India and bought up used guns there and brought them back to England for reselling.

About the snooty attitude and behavior: This comes, I think, mostly from wannabees, people who aspire to a social/economic/achievement status they don't have, and who try to bridge that gap with attitude. True achievers are often gracious. Such snootiness is found frequently in auction houses and art dealers (Christies, Sothebys), in academics who haven't quite arrived, and in shop employees who identify with the shop name (e.g. BMW and Lexus mechanics or salesmen) instead of the customers.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 05-04-2002).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deerdogs:
If money were no object I would buy shotguns from Purdey, and double rifles from Westley Richards.

None of them make a left handed bolt rifle.

Holland & Holland shows a picture of a left handed bolt rifle on their webpage.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Interesting Post. My wife and I went to London a couple of years ago, and one of the "must see" places for me was H&H. We went to their store, (wearing blues jeans and sneakers), and they were quite friendly. I got to talking to an older gent in the gun room, and come to find out he's worked for them for 50+ years. He asked me if I would like to handle any of the guns, and I said, "no, they are wayyyyyyy out of my price range.". He then said, that's no problem, you don't have to buy one, but you are welcome to fondle anyone you like. So.....I got my first (last?) opportunity to hold/handle a Royal Grade Double that was about $120K. I guess if we sold the house and lived on beans & weenies, maybe I could afford one. Anyways, I did go downstairs to their book department and bought a book on Africa. We then went over a few blocks to Purdey's and they were not friendly at all (and there wasn't much to look at there either). ~Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H & H has just had a "facelift" in Bruton Street. The gun room is now tiny and the bookshop has gone. LVMH makeover has turned it into a "lifestyle" type of shop. Pity. Staff still friendly - at least the ones I've met on trips to buy ammo/books. I'd love one of their rifles, though.
Boss would be my choice in shotgun, or even a McKay Brown from Glasgow. These look fabulous, handle well and sell for a half of a London gun. That's still a mound of cash!
Regards
Robert

Posts: 94 | Location: Hampshire, UK | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
<martin f>
posted
I have visited the shops of several London gunmakers in the past, some repeatedly (H&H, Purdeys), always for looking, never for buying - clearly stated to the sales person.
I do only remember friendly and forthcoming attitude, never any indifference or even worse.
Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoeZ:
... The venerable firm once sold boxlocks, outsourced guns that many could argue fell short of being best guns. That leaves three.

[This message has been edited by JoeZ (edited 05-05-2002).]

Interesting information. Any idea who made those boxlocks.

Anyway that still leaves Purdey as best maker, because they did not build those guns just sold them.

Saad

Posts: 271 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Purdey's boxlocks were made in Birmingham but, unfortunately, I don't know by whom. My point is that the other three big names never went to that extent to sell guns, building only bests. That Purdey did not make the boxlocks is a valid observation and, so too, is the fact that they carried the Purdey name. Guilt by association.

[This message has been edited by JoeZ (edited 05-06-2002).]