New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre64 Super Grade
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This past weekend I was in NE Ga visiting relatives and stopped by a small gun shop near my aunt's home. They had a pre64 Super Grade in .338WM. It had no open sights. Did Winchester offer these guns without sights? I didn't measure the bbl, but it looked like 24 or 26 inches. Standard Win recoil pad and stock was in good shape. Price tag of $695. I don't need it, but still thinking about buying it.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Whether it is a "real" Super grade or not - if it is functional and safe buy it at that price.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to bet it is a post 64 Win 70 SuperGrade with pre 64 features, i.e. CRF. Pre 64 Win 70 338's had 25 inch barrels and the standard weight profile with the goose egg rear sight boss.

This also may be a pre 64 that has been rebarreled. That price is very cheap for a well worn standard grade 30-06.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ain't no way in hell that a pre64 supergrade 338 is for sale at that price. no way no way no way

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will take a closer look and get the ssn next time I am up there. The bbl is a Winchester bbl and if it was rebarreled, the inletting looks factory. Just never seen one with no factory sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did pre64 Winchester .338s ever come without open sights? Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, Winchester made up some Model 70's for Gopher Shooters Supply without open sights in the late 1950's/early 1960's (Gopher Special), but possibly only in caliber .264 Winchester Magnum.

I'm sure Winchester would have made up one without open sights on special order.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Page 90, Sept., 1961 American Rifleman: "SOMETHING SPECIAL! We have asked Winchester's Custom Gun Department to make up a few model 70 Featherweight Rifles without front or rear sights and without rear sight dove tail slot. After waiting over a year we are pleased to announce that we have them in stock with 22" barrels in calibers 30'06, 270 and 243. Price, $134.95. When ordering give name of your nearest dealer. GOPHER SHOOTER'S SUPPLY Faribault, Minnesota" I think other calibers were offered later in the standard model configuration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes there were sightless models in the standard weight as well. The key feature is no dovetail slot in the goose egg. Some guys fit a blank in there that almost looks like it was never dovetailed; you have to look close.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Airgun, I think you are correct. The hang tag called it a pre64, but I saw one on Cabelas site that was just like it only in .300WinMag. I believe it is a post64 with CRF. Thanks to all.