New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sold a Black Rifle, What to Do?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Former Navy buddy of mine stopped by last night. "Hey Charlie, you got a spare M-4 in the safe?" "Um, yeah, you want it?" "Yeah." "OK, normal stealth procedure for wifezilla?" "Yep." "Ok, target trigger?" "Sure, whatever."

Soooooo, I can finish paying for the 9,3 x 66 and get started on another project.

What else can one ask for out of life?

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can never have 2 many Black Rifles!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For some stupid reason I have the urge to build one of those 1000 yard type guns in .338 Lapua Improved, on a BAT Machines 10" action and Kreiger 36"barrel 1.45" diameter at muzzle and throat cut especially for the 300 gr sierra Match Kings, Vais Break with McMillan HBR50 stock in those bright coulors, sheane barrel block and Jewell 2oz trigger topped off with a NXS 12-42x56 Nightforce in Badger Max 50 rings seated on BAT's own weaver style rail with built in 20moa angle..............................why ? because I do not own a rifle like this yet.........................am now trying to work a plan up to make this rifle a reality. So thats my suggestion to you as it it's the flavour of the month for me Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charley, a bunch of us here in Wenatchee are building 2.0 BR's. .204 bullet on 6mm BR Lapua Brass. We got a special reamer to fit the brass as sized. Supposed to be a great ground squirrel (aka sage rat, picket pins etc.) gun or any other varmint for that matter. Will tell you more this spring. Mine is not going to be black. I am putting an english walnut bench rest/varmint stock on mine. Okay it is overkill or unnecessary but in the immortal words of the head torture "administrator" in the movie "Van Helsing", when asked why he "tormented" a particular prisoner so much, he replied (in a perfect Boris Karloff accent), "It is what I do" The movie is worth watching for just that one line, and that is probably the only redeeming moment.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can never have 2 many Black Rifles!

I know what you mean. I keep putting them together, and the kids take them off to war, or my buddies buy them.

I just built my youngest God son Chris an M-4 recce (16" barrel, intermediate gas system) upper to take over to Iraq in two weeks. I don't like the idea of him using some over-cleaned issue POS.

Next up, I have to finish an SPR upper for him. If he is hanging out doing some overwatch stuf he can reach out about 600 yards with the new M 262 ammunition.

Finally, I need to get a short barreled (11.5") rifle together for him for convoy duty. Those shorties are barely lethal out to 100 meters, but they are a lot handier.

quote:
I have the urge to build one of those 1000 yard type guns in .338 Lapua Improved, on a BAT Machines 10" action and Kreiger 36"barrel 1.45" diameter at muzzle and throat cut especially for the 300 gr sierra Match Kings, Vais Break with McMillan HBR50 stock in those bright coulors, sheane barrel block and Jewell 2oz trigger topped off with a NXS 12-42x56 Nightforce in Badger Max 50 rings seated on BAT's own weaver style rail with built in 20moa angle..............................why ? because I do not own a rifle like this yet.........................am now trying to work a plan up to make this rifle a reality. So thats my suggestion to you as it it's the flavour of the month for me

Yikes! I do have a TRG-42 in 338 Lapua Magnum. That will have to hold me for a while.

quote:
Charley, a bunch of us here in Wenatchee are building 2.0 BR's. .204 bullet on 6mm BR Lapua Brass. We got a special reamer to fit the brass as sized. Supposed to be a great ground squirrel (aka sage rat, picket pins etc.) gun or any other varmint for that matter. Will tell you more this spring. Mine is not going to be black. I am putting an english walnut bench rest/varmint stock on mine. Okay it is overkill or unnecessary but in the immortal words of the head torture "administrator" in the movie "Van Helsing", when asked why he "tormented" a particular prisoner so much, he replied (in a perfect Boris Karloff accent), "It is what I do" The movie is worth watching for just that one line, and that is probably the only redeeming moment.

Hi Chick,

That sounds like a neat cartridge, and a barrel burner in my undisciplined hands! I have a 6.5 "lawndart" reamer and gauge in hand right now. It is a no trim, but tight fitting version of the 6.5 Grendel. I have a single shot Sako in 6mm PPC that is ripe for the conversion (switch barrel rig). And a wooden stock even Smiler. We have 40,000 acres of ground squirrels about fifteen minutes from my house. Pretty hot action from late March to early June. Come on over. We can watch Bill break another body part.

Merry Christmas!!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
We can watch Bill break another body part.

You missed your chance on that one already. I think it should be somebody elses turn to provide the camp entertainment. Your crack was the third one I have heard about me and my leg today from members of this forum.

I think you should go for a good old fashioned tactical rifle in the plain jane .308. Or go for a sweet lightweight hunting rig in .308.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got an itch to build a 6.8SPC

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you should go for a good old fashioned tactical rifle in the plain jane .308. Or go for a sweet lightweight hunting rig in .308.

I had my smith build a 20" .308 sniper rig with a Mike Rock 5R barrel on a Remmy action with a Sako extractor this last summer. It is in an LTR stock. The suppressor is being built right now. As soon as the new Williams bottom metal comes out I'll bed everything in Titanium Devcon and paint it a nice dark earth brown.

I got one of those Steyr Scouts on close out from CDNN about three years ago. That thing handles fast!

I have a Mark X laying around. Maybe make it into a .270?

I have a 1909 Argie too, but that would be more of a project than I can afford right now.

quote:
I've got an itch to build a 6.8SPC

That is a good itch to scratch. John Noveske is selling some very nice barrels to slap into your AR-15.

LD