New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To "blue" Stainless Steel?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Anyone has an idea of how to darken the colour of stainless steel please?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68644 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC ,one of our members talked about putting stainless steel into a standard bluing solution.It doesn't 'blue' it in the normal sense but does turn it into a darker matt grey.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you can remember the process, I would appreciate hearing it.

Posts: 68644 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look into coatings, such as KG coat, it won't be blued but will look good.

Bluing is of course a controlled rusting process, so stainless steel won't blue correctly.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I can't say that this is a good idea but since you enjoy experimenting I'll rat out on myself...When I was young and dumb (as opposed to being only older now) I cleaned a neglected stainless blackpowder pistol by soaking it in Drano (a caustic lye-based drain cleaner with other really bad stuff in it). It got really REALLY clean but the Drano completely blackened the steel and I remember having to polish it off with emory cloth. Who knows? Maybe I missed a new process for the indusrty? Roll Eyes

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed

I have not used it myself, but Brownells sells what they call Oxynate No. 84, which they claim is a bluing salt that will blue Stainless Steels. You might want to call Brownells technical folks and ask them more about it.

22WRF

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Anyone has an idea of how to darken the colour of stainless steel please?

Saeed,
I like the results of the Wilson Gun Kote type finish. My gunsmith does this sort of process.
It is a baked on finish that has a molybdenum sulfide content is all I know. It seems to be very hard and I have not scratched any of it off any of several rifles.

This makes the chrome-moly action match the stainlessbarrel. Matte black and matte olive drab are the ones I like.

I will see if anyone else has anything better, but this stuff is excellent.

Blacken the stainless, and paint the fiberglass brown and the critters will never know the difference, is what I always say. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NYLITE is a very nice and durable matte black finish. It also slicks out the action as well.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WaffenfabrikHein
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
We have many customers who want SS barrels and a black finish. To address this we offer black chrome plating. We do not do it ourselves, but send it to Accurate Plating and Weaponry. Here is the link to there website.
http://www.apwcogan.com/black_chrome_plating.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Karl Webber
General Manager
wff Hein Firearms
www.rifleactions.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells stainless salts do work, and there are a few people around that do the work with great success.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Saeed

I've seen pictures of that 375-404 of yours, and if the gun you are working on is going to be treated like the 375-404 I'm thinking 99 cent flat black Krylon will be right up your ally. jump thumb

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I have examined custom rifles with Cerakote
as applied by Fit $ Duty. They looked very nice. I am getting ready to have them do a rifle.

http://fit4duty.us

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
I have heard that there is a guy from Spokane who is using the Brownells salts for stainless and it does work. The result is more of a black but I have no first hand experience with it. I believe Bill Soverns does. I will give him a call and ask him to respond.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluetick:
Saeed

I've seen pictures of that 375-404 of yours, and if the gun you are working on is going to be treated like the 375-404 I'm thinking 99 cent flat black Krylon will be right up your ally. jump thumb

Shawn

Shawn,
I have been known to do that too. Can always be removed with solvent or touched up. Works especially well on Remingtons. Silver scopes become matte black, or even camo, this way too. Cool

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My cousin used green and brown
rustoleum on the metal parts of a SS Ruger of mine and it didn't look half bad. He took it off with a solvent when he was done and it didn't show.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
You can have the metal iron plated first and then blued....it's not new.....

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I agree with the previous post. I don't know the method, but that is what Winchester did on their pre 64 model 70s. On the models that had stainless barrels, such as 220 swifts or varmint models, etc. the barrels were first iron plated and then blued. It produced more of a greyish matte blueing than a deep blue, but I think it looked very acceptable. So it's been done for a long time and I think Winchester had a proven, durable method.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have used Brownells Teflon/Moly Oven Cure Gun Finish.
It was easy to work with and comes in 8 colors

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Anybody got a picture of a blued stainless rifle (not iron plated) they'd like to share? I had always been told this was impossible to do. I'd like to see the results of one that had been done. It would open up a lot of choices not avalible before.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends-

I'll second what Terry said, is there someone willing to post a picture of a blued/blackened stainless barrel and/or rifle.

Also, there was mention of some folks that regularly use and provide this kind of bluing, if we could have a name or two, that would be helpful.

Thanks,

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont know the how, but Dave Gentry can and does. He has done a SS Mdl. 70 for me that has a matte blue that has held up well.

HBH

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Bluing stainless is not a difficult process with the Oxynate 84 salts from brownells. You do have to pickle the metal in a bath of muratic acid prior to the salt dip. After the pickle its no different than regular hot bluing. The result is very black and typically little to no lustre.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "low lustre" may be due in part to the etching effect of the acid bath.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, teh follwoing appeared some time in 2003 (?):

What you normally see in marine and medical applications in stainless is 300 series stainless, which has a high degree of nickel. This allows it to be extremely corrosion resistant, but at the same time, it's a bitch to machine, hence the fact that gun manufacturers use 416 stainless. 416 is much easier to machine, but it's tendency to rust is much higher. If the stainless is passivated, it will eat off most of the free iron that is on the surface of the stainless, but even that won't guarantee that your gun won't rust. In fact, over the thousands of parts that I've manufactured in stainless, and put through the passivation process, I've not been impressed with it's increased corrosion resistance. The only thing that I ever found that really worked on stainless, aside from some of the coatings that have been mentioned above, was to passivate the stainless, then hot caustic blue them in normal steel salts. After the passivation process, the majority of the free iron has been eaten off the part, what's left then gets blued. It's without a doubt, the best finish I've ever used for stainless. The finish that is obtained is a dull grey, not quite silver finish, but still pleasing to the eye. There isn't a hunting enviorment on this planet that it won't hold up to.

--------------------
Matt Williams V.P.
Williams Firearms Company Inc.

Hope it helps...

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your suggestions, but what we are looking for is some process we can apply ourselves here.

So far, I have also received a number of email messages, one suggesting a certain type of oil based paint. It is supposed to be applied in two thin coats, and then baked.

Seems to be the easiest of all the suggestions, and we will try it.

I did suggest to Walter that he tries the DRANO, but he refused, saying "I don't like to play around with chemicals. They can blow up!?"

And this is coming from a man who has shot himself God only how many times!!