New
Find
Notify
Tools

#2 Shilen for 270 WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a #2 contour shilen barrel in .270 that I am considering for installation on my MRC 1999 short action, if it ever arrives. Do you think that this barrel is heavy enough for hunting rifle or should I go for the heavier #3 contour? Also what length would be best?

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of hunting are you planning on doing with it? If it's a mountain rifle type project, then I'd personally stick with what you have. If you are just building a whitetail rifle for hunting out of a stand, then a little heavier wouldn't hurt. That slim barrel should shoot as well as a heavier one though, just not for quite as many consecutive shots. If it were mine, I'd go with a 23-24" barrel.

Just my thoughts. Gib

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a #2 Shilen 22" barrel on my .270 Win. and think it's perfect for a hunting rifle. I would suggest you not go any shorter than 24" in length for the .270 wsm though.

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a #2 Shilen on my 7-08AI. Since I requested the #2, Shilen recommended that I keep the length at 22", rather than 24". They told me that I would be better off with a #3 if I wanted to go with a 24" barrel. They believe in short and stiff.

The #2 is pretty close to what I'd call ideal for a hunting rifle for a 7mm or smaller at 22". The 22" length is wonderful for handling in the field. Unlike a prairie dog gun that will have a few hundred rounds per day put through it, the #2 contour is more than enough for the .270 caliber that's fired once, or maybe twice in a row at game. Even at the range, the #2 Shilen will keep all bullets within the group.

Most .270's come with 22" factory barrels. You would probably get about 50-60fps more velocity with 2 more inches of barrel, but I doubt that the deer will notice any difference.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Most of the barrels I install for .30-06 and smaller cartridges are Douglas 22" featherweight barrels......550" muzzle diameter.....and they're extremely accurate, light and a pleasure to shoot and own.

Your Shilen #2 contour is the right way to do a .270 WSM in my opinion.....good luck.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I have a M1999 action and a #2 Shilen .277 barrel. Sometime in the next several weeks I'm going to have a light weight .270 WSM. The #2 barrel is .575 at 24" which is fine for a .277 barrel.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote