THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Could a Stoeger double 3" be bored out for 3.5"shells?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could a Stoeger double 3" be bored out for 3.5"shells?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I kind of got the impression the longer shell operates at similar pressure to the 3" shell, but that doesn't totally make sense.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, back in the 70's we considered .090 wall thickness are bare minimum..though I measured plenty of Browning O/U at .085...go figure..

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The governing factor would be wall thickness left after intruding into the forcing cone.

I don't understand why one would want to. Heck I do all of my waterfowling with 2 3/4" handloads- 1 1/4oz. of Bismuth 2's or 1 1/8oz. of Nice Shot 2's, 1250 fps. The 30 or so Canadas I killed last year are mute testimony to the effectiveness of these "pipsqueek" loads. Cleaner kills than my pit buddies using 3 and 3 1/2" guns shooting steel. I notice them re-thinking their approach to waterfowl load selection. Just my approach, to each his own.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason is so that I would have the option, even if I never use it. I am thinking of having a fair amount of work done on this gun, so I want to start out with a gun that gives the most options I can get.

quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
The governing factor would be wall thickness left after intruding into the forcing cone.

I don't understand why one would want to. Heck I do all of my waterfowling with 2 3/4" handloads- 1 1/4oz. of Bismuth 2's or 1 1/8oz. of Nice Shot 2's, 1250 fps. The 30 or so Canadas I killed last year are mute testimony to the effectiveness of these "pipsqueek" loads. Cleaner kills than my pit buddies using 3 and 3 1/2" guns shooting steel. I notice them re-thinking their approach to waterfowl load selection. Just my approach, to each his own.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote