New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loaded round stuck in chamber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My buddy has a 308 reload stuck in a Rem 700 .308 chamber. Won't extract. Flat tipped plastic coated cleaning rod won't knock it out.

What will a 'smith have to do to remove it?

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Take a 30" or so long .25" diameter steel rod that fits into the mouth of the case and bottoms out on the case web.

Spray a little kroil in the chamber area and then whack the end of the rod with a big mallet.

My bad, I read it as a "fired" round

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take a 30" or so long .25" diameter steel rod that fits into the mouth of the case and bottoms out on the case web.

I believe he has a loaded round stuck in the chamber. Rod will never reach the web.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if the bolt is open (out of battery) it will just pop out, using above method.

Note- if bolt is closed, different story.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a loaded round. Bolt won't close into battery or we'd safely fire the round. The extractor slips off the rim.
He tried pushing it out with a dewey cleaning rod loaded with a cut off, flat ended jag. Can't really get a firm "tap" though as the powder charge cushions things a bit.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nomo4me:
My buddy has a 308 reload stuck in a Rem 700 .308 chamber. Won't extract. Flat tipped plastic coated cleaning rod won't knock it out.

What will a 'smith have to do to remove it?

Depends on what happens between now and when he seeks professional help. I've had them where I've had to pull the barrel, drill the case and flood it with a powder/primer killer and then machine the live round out. Not a job for the weak at heart. Big Grin But if you plan on beating on it, from the muzzle end, protect the crown and stuff a rag in the action to catch the round should it let go.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The process you describe Guy is what I had pictured. I'll advise him to put a bit of Kroil down the muzzle and sit it muzzle up for a few days and see if that helps things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be VERY carefull to be beating on a cleaning rod etc. to remove a live cartridge .

There have been times when the round went off and the results were fatal.

Do a google search on " round stuck in chamber on Benchrest.com".

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went through this about 2 months ago. Rem 700 in 22/250 with loaded round stuck in chamber. Brownells has a puller that is a collet closer that grabs the base with a slide hammer that pulls it out. I built my own version and popped it right out. Will mail it to you and you can do it yourself. No danger of the primer going as there is nothing touching the primer. Uses collet from case trimmer. your cost is the postage both ways. RandyB.

Posts: 173 | Location: Texas | Registered: 01 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Left out the part where he had already tried the cleaning rod trick. Pushed the bullet down into the case and powder. Then he sprayed WD40 down the barrel and tried again without success.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonewall is right....this just happened a short while ago to a gunsmith I know and he lost part of a finger when it went off......don't hit the bullet with a cleaning rod. This gunsmith was very lucky...you may not be. Find another means to do it. Think!

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy I will glady take you up on your offer.

PM Sent

quote:
Originally posted by RandyB:
I went through this about 2 months ago. Rem 700 in 22/250 with loaded round stuck in chamber. Brownells has a puller that is a collet closer that grabs the base with a slide hammer that pulls it out. I built my own version and popped it right out. Will mail it to you and you can do it yourself. No danger of the primer going as there is nothing touching the primer. Uses collet from case trimmer. your cost is the postage both ways. RandyB.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Typical cause of round going off when driven out of the chamber from the barrel is the primer bring struck you the ejector (especially in a Mauser action).

The tool Randy has offer the loan of is a nifty way to avoid having to pull the barrel to get the round out.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Had this problem once with a rifle delivered to me with a live round stuck in the breech, broken piece of cleaning rod down barrel and extractor pulled part rim off.

Solution was to remove the stock, tie the barreled action to a car tire, make up a wooden dowel with a nail 'firing pin' to fit in place of the bolt, and then a suitable weight on a pendulum to drive the pin into the primer when released with a long string. No pressure build up and no damage to bare action when case blown back out. Simple matter then to drive out the barrel obstruction and bullet.

I think this is the safest way to deal with a live round stuck in a firearm especially if there is a barrel obstruction in the mix.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last fall I had that experience. I tried the cleaning rod, lubricants, etc.

For me, the safest way was to have the gunsmith remove it & not continue to try at home fixes. Pounding on a live round is CHEAP.

Spend a few bucks and possibly save your; life, fingers, barrel crown, chamber smoothness, barrel rifling integrity.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 04 July 2011 21:51 Hide Post
I went through this about 2 months ago. Rem 700 in 22/250 with loaded round stuck in chamber. Brownells has a puller that is a collet closer that grabs the base with a slide hammer that pulls it out. I built my own version and popped it right out. Will mail it to you and you can do it yourself. No danger of the primer going as there is nothing touching the primer. Uses collet from case trimmer. your cost is the postage both ways

This is the best and safest way to remove a live round.
I actually have the patent and the first puller plans that brownells looked at and changed to the collet and screwed a gunsmith friend out of it!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonewall:
Be VERY carefull to be beating on a cleaning rod etc. to remove a live cartridge .

There have been times when the round went off and the results were fatal.

Do a google search on " round stuck in chamber on Benchrest.com".

Glenn

happened at a bench rest match

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a set of live round pullers 25 years ago when I was at Colorado School of Trades, which just happen to be exactly what you're talking about. And for any of you reading this WITH a brain, ignore the ones WITHOUT who think nails in sticks and cleaning rods are the way to go. Its no wonder antis view gun owners as stupid...

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides, if you beat on a Dewey rod handle you'll ruin the bearings. Just another reason to find a better/safer way.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wyoske:
I built a set of live round pullers 25 years ago when I was at Colorado School of Trades, which just happen to be exactly what you're talking about. And for any of you reading this WITH a brain, ignore the ones WITHOUT who think nails in sticks and cleaning rods are the way to go. Its no wonder antis view gun owners as stupid...

Not everyone has access to the Colorado School of Trades or even a lathe or milling machine or the skills to use them, or the time making up a reasonably precise piece of equipment for a one off occasion.
Perhaps for those that do, the antis may view them as pompous stupids.
This thread has provided some good suggestions, cautions and some methods that have safely removed stuck live rounds. I don't see the need to take the moral high ground and deride others. Smiler

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The real problem is that when folks advance such ideas those who don't know any better use these ideas, with some modifications, to get themselves hurt. Especially with a barrel obstruction?!!! Thats a sick joke, right? People as dumb as you should be neutered.

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW maybe, try this, strip the action from the stock. Put in into a chest coffin type refrigerator and see if being frozen will make that BRASS case easy to get out of that STEEL action.

Or even look at filling the barrel with water a close fitting wooden rod to seal the end then freeze the lot. It may just be that the expansion of the water as it freezes has enough of an effect to free the case?

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic to help. When used it is one piece. The left half in the pic is the slide hammer. The right half is the collet closer that grabs the case. i used a RCBS trimmer collet as it was already drilled and tapped. It will pull magnum & 308 as it is. Will pull others with different collets. I commend the original inventor as it is very well thought out. I built my own because I had the means to do it. RandyB.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wyoske:
The real problem is that when folks advance such ideas those who don't know any better use these ideas, with some modifications, to get themselves hurt. Especially with a barrel obstruction?!!! Thats a sick joke, right? People as dumb as you should be neutered.

Good to see you do have a humorous side and I'm sure you will soon have a suitable range of 'ball' extracting collets out on the market soon so we can get on and neuter all the dumb people you think we have on this forum.

As with all ideas and suggestions placed on this and other like forums (look at all the reloading info published here that has not gone through any industry standard testing or the like), we all give some credit to those using the information to exercise due diligence and caution.

My solution to safely removing a live round stuck in a chamber without exposing myself or others to unnecessary risk if attempting to mechanically extract it, worked very well with no damage caused to firearm, person or property. Obviously I did not carry out the process in the backyard in a suburban area.

For the record I am a Police Warranted Firearms Safety Instructor of over 30 years experience, have used lathes and mills and other engineering equipment all my life, Have been a firearms dealer and gunsmith for many years and spent many years maintaining the variety of military firearms used in our chopper animal culling operations in this country, these rifles probably seeing greater use daily than most rifles do with the military. I just don't get blinded with science and find many times that there are very inexpensive and simple solutions to problems. If you think that makes me stupid then so be it. Others who matter judge me quite differently. Unfortunately I don't live close enough to you to allow you the satisfaction of using your 'ball' extracting collet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The stuck live round is a simple gunsmith operation. About 1966 I made up a puller from an old Mauser barrel. It works very well and is safe if you use a bar and force the shell out slowly using the lock screw head. I had a short one similar to the full action tool, but was only about 3 inches long and split full length so it could be placed into a Rem. 740 auto action. DO NOT HAMMER ON THE BULLET WITH ANY ROD. IT WILL ONLY GET TIGHTER!!! Usually when you have this stuck case the extractor has already been pulled through the case head.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Epilogue:
Folks, don't do what we done did. Lucky we didn't end up as one of those "did you hear about" stories.
Thank you Randy for the loan of your puller.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you should put that round on the shelf where it will be a constant reminder. looks like chamber needs some serious cleaning. Glad I could help. RandyB.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What would happen ,if you fill the bore with grease or oil and then take a fitting wooden dowel pressing(hammering) into the barrel mouth.

Should work like a grease gun homer

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Are my eyes fooling me or does that look more like a 22-243 than a 308?

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavenknows:
What would happen ,if you fill the bore with grease or oil and then take a fitting wooden dowel pressing(hammering) into the barrel mouth.

Should work like a grease gun homer

A friend of mine has a nipple that screws on the barrel of a G3 instead of the flash hider. An ordinary hand operated greace gun is used to expend a stuck bullet without problems.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6x47 Lapua
Case was fired in the custom chamber when it was out of spec (bad 'smith, dull reamer as seen on the bright rings), then not resized before being fired in the gun with the chamber recut properly.

quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
That case looks like it had been fired in a chamber that was cut with a pine cone.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, and it was the 2nd time he cut it. Promised he'd sent the reamer in for sharpening before the 2nd go.
Name is Brandt Gurr out of Farr West.
Most Utahns know to stear clear of him. Now we do as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Nomo4me:
6x47 Lapua
Case was fired in the custom chamber when it was out of spec (bad 'smith, dull reamer as seen on the bright rings), then not resized before being fired in the gun with the chamber recut properly.

quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure his name isn't Grandt Burr?

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is a pic to help. When used it is one piece. The left half in the pic is the slide hammer. The right half is the collet closer that grabs the case. i used a RCBS trimmer collet as it was already drilled and tapped. It will pull magnum & 308 as it is. Will pull others with different collets. I commend the original inventor as it is very well thought out. I built my own because I had the means to do it. RandyB.

RandyB, a big tu2 to you for helping not just one fellow AR member, but all the rest of us that can now build one of these!

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Another way to loosen a stuck round is with dry ice. Brass shrinks about 3 times more than steel. We use to use frion, but that is not easy to get. I now pack them with dry ice and put it in the freezer. You still need a collet to grab the base, but it usually takes very little to put it out.....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tool arrived back home today via US mail with Andrew Jackson wrapped around it! Ole Andy's going to buy the beer tonight. Thanks Mike, RandyB.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy that beer Randy. You saved me $$ and maybe some fingers. Many thanks for your help.

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
I watched my gunsmith remove a stuck live round in a Ruger 338 Win Mag

He simply marked the barrel, screwed the barrel off, put the barrel in a vise, put a shell holder over the stuck case, used a screw driver either side to lever the case out, cleaned the barrel and screwed it back on. No need to head space he had it marked to where it was.

All up about 8 minutes

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cool tool!!!

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote