New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legacy Mauser actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There's an article in the May/June Petersen's Rifle Shooter about putting together a rifle using a Legacy Mauser action, E. R. Shaw bbl, and Boyd's drop in finished stock. The article is by Wayne van Zwoll. It sounds like a fun project and his cost was less than $700. Does anyone have experience with these actions? I'm familier with E. R. Shaw and Boyds but not the action. The article states the action cost is $445. van Zwoll makes it sound like a fumble fingers like me could do it since Shaw installs the bbl. Thanks

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Bob:

Go here for more info on Legacy's Mauser actions...

http://www.legacysports.com/product/info_mauser.htm

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Slingster, The Safari seems really reasonable but the other one is pretty dear. I hope to hear from someone (other than a gun rag writer) who has experience with this action.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Legacy actions are made in Belgium by Dumoulin-Herstal. http://www.dumoulin-herstal.com/en/introduction.html

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The field grade Legacy actions are made in Italy. I have one at the gunsmith right now being barreled in 338-06 with a Lothar Walther barrel. Overall, they are OK, but roughly finished in some spots like inside the bolt and the cocking piece. However, I bought mine during their sale for $275 and at that price I thought they were a great deal when you consider the bottom metal, adjustable trigger and three position safety. I can't really give a recommendation until I get mine back and finish the stock but I think it will make a great, inexpensive rifle. I spent a little more on the barrel and stock than in the article you are referring to however. If you are willing to experiment I say give it a try.

Bob

Posts: 9 | Location: Crestview FL | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. It sure seems reasonable. I was thinking of a 338/06 also. Looking forward to hearing how you rifle shoots when you get it back. I appreciate the help.