New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interams MK X .458 feeding and ejecting problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Won't feed or eject reliably. Are the guns total garbage? What and how much work to get them to function for DG hunt?

Thanks again

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2852 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
As with any factory rifle, some will work great, some won't without a little tweaking.

Impossible to say how much or what without knowing what it is doing.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are the guns total garbage

Yep they are. I think you should give it to me to be safe. I have MKX actions on the majority of what I shoot. I've never had one that if it didn't feed correctly couldn't be made to do so with a little effort. I would have no issue useing the MKX as a DR provided it was tweeked.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I would have no issue useing the MKX as a DR provided it was tweeked.

Ditto, are you using factory ammo or relaods?

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I would have no issue useing the MKX as a DR provided it was tweeked.

Ditto, are you using factory ammo or relaods?

And was it a factory 458 or a rebarreled smaller magnum? BIG difference if the action wasn't tweaked for the 458. I believe the factory 458 uses the same opened-up action as the 375 which gives the blunt 458 more time to come up out of the rails and align with the feed ramp and chamber mouth. May have a slighly different ejector blade too but I'm not positive.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mkX Whitworth .458 runs great. It shouldn't take much to get yours running.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
My Whitworth 458, from the factory, feeds great:
No, the receiver is not cut out at the ramp as in the 375's, less COL with the 458 Win.

Is your rifle an original Whitworth from Manchester or a Mark X that has had a 458 barrel installed? Beeg Difference!!

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Mine has the same 458 electric pencil marking on the bottom of the action as pictured above.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I had to open the underside of the rails at tad to keep rounds from sometimes popping up but after thirty years of hard use it is now the most reliable rifle I own.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Hey Phil, is that Duracoat or Ceracote on that rifle? Big Grin

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

Dang that's a good lookin' rig.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Ever time I see that picture of Phil's .458 posed on the bear skull I want to caption it; "I'm just here to kill somethin' Can we get on with it?"
Yep. That is a gun worth loving.
dmw

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Won't feed or eject reliably. Are the guns total garbage? What and how much work to get them to function for DG hunt?

Thanks again

I've never heard of any that were original every failing in any regard.
Additional information on your part would make it easier to help.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I once owned a Mark X .458 that had been rebarreled from a smaller caliber. I had to weld up and extend the ejector about .100" to get it to eject 100%. It fed just fine. I suspect a little feed rail work will make yours feed reliably as well. Don't give up just yet,I own and have owned a number of Mark X's, all were very good rifles.

P.S. Phil's .458 has been an inspiration to me for years, what a great rifle!!

Posts: 13 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 09 January 2008Reply With Quote