Find
Notify
Tools

Pattern Rifle blanks needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Looking for some pattern grade rifle blanks. Cracks voids etc as long as they can be filled would work.

Just hate using blanks that would make someone a workable stock used for patterns.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, does a pattern stock have to be made out of a hard wood? Could you use something like basswood or some other easy to carve wood? Also can a pattern be made from a laminated blank in case you can't find the required thickness? There is a shop in COS that has a pretty good stock of wood, hard and soft.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul
I can hook you up after the first of the year. Friend of mine has a sawmill and sets off some material for me from time to time. How many blanks are you looking for?
What dimensions do you prefer to work with?
I have black walnut and may have maple, what other species would work?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Any stable dry wood could be glued up to use for a pattern. I wouldn't use something like bass since it so soft.

Issue is I'm spoiled!! rotflmo I've been buying Mable blanks for around $10 plus delivery. No labor required. Do to his work load I've been waiting for a couple months. So I thought it was time to find another source. Hate to have people waiting on me.

Want to thank everyone for their offers and suggestions.

Snellstrom I'm PM you.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote