New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Winchester long throat??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The 338 Winchester combined with the slow powders I prefer and heavy bullets produces severe powder compression. Sometimes my bullets get pushed back out.

I was wondering if a longer throat would help or would it just require a heavier powder charge further aggrevating the situation?

Help!

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need to go to a slightly faster powder if your bullets won't stay seated.

What powder and what bullets are you loading? More info needed here, there are some good 338 handloaders here.

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
x-man,

A couple of things to think about when contemplating the lengthening of the throat. The increased bullet jump may hurt your accuracy. Down the road should you wish to seat your bullet out to touch the lands to increase accuracy, your ammo might not fit the magazine. Your regular load will lose velocity requiring you to increase the powder charge, or, go to a faster powder anyway to gain it back.

If you can do it, do like MtnHtr suggested, go to a quicker burning powder.

Good luck,

Malm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have the magazine capacity and the cash to do the job, the way to do it is to lengthen the throat to the length you want to fit the bullet you choose. What you gain with the bullets seated out further, is more powder capacity thereby allowing you to increase your load without increasing pressures, within reason of course. The downside, like George says, is the length of the throat should you want to go to a lighter bullet later.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can also try backing off the load a couple of grains and crimping the neck. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jamie,
I'd try a faster powder first before messing with the throat. Might save you some $$ for a problem which does not exist. I have a powder burn rate chart which can help you to determine what powder choices to choose. Also a Nosler handload manual can be of big help as they list load densities of powders in each cartridge.

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I understand your problem. My own .338 Win. Mag. loves 250 gr. Nosler Partitions powered by Reloader 19 in Winchester cases. To use this powder I built a funnel with a 15" drop tube to eliminate excessive powder compression, and this made Reloader 19 a feasible propellent for that case and with that particular bullet.

A better solution was to substitute IMR 4350 for Reloader 19. This allowed me to use four grains less powder to get within 25 fps. of Reloader 19 velocities. Accuracy was just as good (at least), recoil was slightly less, chronograph readings were just as consistent, and barrel life will be enhanced as well.

Often, powder compression problems can be resolved with a long drop tube and/or a slightly faster burning powder that takes up less room. Long throating often creates more problems than it cures, and I don't recommend going that route. It's typically unnecessary.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I replaced the bolt stop, magazine and follower in my M70 .338 with those from a .375. Then had a smith lengthern throat so that I could seat 250 Noslers out to just shy of the end on the magazine. I have used it this way for years with no problems. Accuracy is as good or better than it ever was.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the advice!

My favorite load is with Rl-22 and 225 X bullets. This or 250 Noslers is all I shoot. I have a 375 length mag box.

My question is, does long throating help reduce powder compression or not?

Many thanks!

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
X-man, it will help you to the extent that you will be able to seat the bullet further out if that OAL runs into your lands now. Find what max over all length your load will live with and find out if a bullet that long will be hitting your lands. If you still have enough neck to hold the bullet then it will help you.

If you want to go that route, seat a bullet in an empty sized case to the length and send it to your gunsmith. Realize you are also changing some parameters in your rifle and it may not shoot as well. Most of the time you will find that a bullet closer (or even in) to the lands will be more accurate, but you will not know until you get it back.

My favorite load is RL22 also with Nosler 250's in a Ruger #1.

[ 09-17-2003, 02:41: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote