THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What is your experience with Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000 scopes used on big bores?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your experience with Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000 scopes used on big bores?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am in the process of building a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved, 416 Taylor/416 Newton and 458 Win. Mag. Ackley Improved on 1908 Brazilian Mauser actions. I have a number of Bausch and Lomb Elite 4000/4200 scopes that I have used on the following rifles: 6.5-06, 270 Win., 7x57 Ackley Improved, 30-06, 300 Win. Mag., 300 Weatherby, 338 Win. Mag. and 375 H&H without a loss of zero or other damage. I use Leupold and Redfield one piece bases and Leupold rings.

What has been your experience with these scopes on .416 or above calibers? Any loss of zero or damage caused by the heavy recoil?

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I used a 4200 on my 416 for a couple of season and now it is on a lightweight 375 that I use as a loaner so it gets abused. It has held up perfectly.
I also see where Barrett recommend the 10X 3200 series on their 50BMG rifles for those on a budget

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year I installed a 4200 3.5-10x50 on a 300WM Tikka. I found it a very good scope, but the eye relief was insufficient; the ocular hit my eyebrow several times at the range with hot loads, so I switched to a Leupold VX III. Now the 4200 is on a quieter 270 WSM Tikka T3.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

Thank you for relating your experience with this scope. Sounds great to me, I'll place them on my upcoming big bores, but take into account the limited eye relief.

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote