Find
Notify
Tools

Top Half for 1911 in .38 Super
 Login/Join

Picture of Slabside1
posted
Hi All,
I am new so if I do something wrong--be gentle and correct me: that said, does anyone have any idea where I can obtain a top half (complete assembly) in .38 super for a colt or clone 1911 ? Thanks in advance!!

Stay Safe " DE OPPRESSO LIBER"

Bob Waters

Posts: 17 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Caspian Arms
Colt Firearms Company
Springfield Armory
Check out the auctions on eBay, sometimes they show up there. Also you might check Gunsamerica or Gunbroker.com. Be aware that sometimes it requires you to replace/modify the ejector that is mounted on the frame of your pistol. The 9mm/38 Super stick up a bit farther on the frame than the .45

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Slabside1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Congomike, I'll give Caspian a shot-- Colt won't sell the top half(according to local gunsmith) and I haven't tried Springfield but will give them a shot also.

Posts: 17 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a Kimber in 38 Super. Very reasonable at under $900 and a beautiful gun. Look at one!

Put your nose to the grindstone, your belly to the ground, and your shoulder to the wheel. Now try to work in that position!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is easier said than done. You didn't say, but I assume that you want to put it on a .45 lower. You will also need a different ejector (which is not a swap back and forth part) and potentially to mill the frame. Most .38 supers built today have what is called a ramped barrel for better headspace and case support. A clearence slot milled in the frame is required to make it fit. You may be able to find one of the old Colt top end's without the ramped barrel in which case you will only need a new ejector.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slabside1
Sent you a PM.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote