Find
Notify
Tools

What can be done to accurize a 760 gamemaster
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Not looking to have any metal work done. More interested in the bedding arrangement.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Not looking to have any metal work done. More interested in the bedding arrangement.

One of my wife's relatives had one, shot 1.75" groups with iron sights, 1.75" groups with a scope.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14624 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
not much. the triggers are pretty heavy and rough, I tried several diffrent things and came to the conclusion that with the right load they shoot ok.
The 35 rem that I have shoots a load of imr3031
5 shots about 1/2" groups 150gr rem bullets.
200grain bullets about 3/4"..
My 30/06 shoots federal green tip 168gr factory 3 shot groups 3/4" never did find a powder and bullet combo to reload though.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
trade it off on a bolt gun

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Guys I appreciate the commenst but this is a freinds gun that belonged to his grandfather so trading it off is not an option

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mike,

the trigger can be adjusted to be better, it never will be great. make sure that the forend is clear of the barrel and not touching anywhere. make sure the butt stock is tight up against the receiver, a dollop of acragass gel wouldn't hurt.

i know you said no metal work but, this gun is usually not cleaned or cleaned from the muzzle without a guide. most of them really come around with a clean bore and the barrel recrowned to get rid of any rod damage.

max

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys I appreciate the commenst but this is a freinds gun that belonged to his grandfather so trading it off is not an option

Unfortunately neither is making it shoot much better.

You can't bed the thing. You can recrown it and rework the trigger, but that and maybe working with different loads is about it for that gun.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Your mean...Westpac

Mike

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:

Unfortunately neither is making it shoot much better.

You can't bed the thing. You can recrown it and rework the trigger, but that and maybe working with different loads is about it for that gun.

animal Too much.

Great post. A recrown might go a long way.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I don't have it in front of me, but I think McPherson's book "Accurizing the Factry Rifle" had a chapter on the Remington pump. All stuff that a guy with reasonable skills could do with mostly hand tools. I haven't read it in several years, and I don't nessasarily agree with all his processes now, but it was a pretty good book.
Greg

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your mean...Westpac

Hey, I work on them. Outside of what I mentioned and perhaps hanging a wreath of garlic around the barrel, exposing it to live steam and maybe driving a wooden stake through the trigger guard, I wouldn't sink a whole lot of hope in it. JKIR. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I remember seeing "factory acceptable" If my memory serves, "acceptable" was 4" 3 shot group at 100 yds..ditto for the 742

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Years ago, I remember seeing "factory acceptable" If my memory serves, "acceptable" was 4" 3 shot group at 100 yds..ditto for the 742

Sounds like the mini-14. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, you can use a really big bullseye and a real out of whack scale to measure the groups. Or shoot closer and lie about the range.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best thing your buddy can do is try different loads until he finds one that works best and enjoy it as-is. I don't know how many customers I had that lamented the fact that they'd altered Uncle-bubba-grandaddy's old rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, these guys offer a "Lite Pull Trigger Service" for Remington semi-autos, and pumps.
B.C.G.

3050 US HWY 50 W

ALBANY,OHIO 45710
help@bcgunsmithing.com

Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Like Chic said, "Get closer". clap

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Whenever I hear about Grandpas unaccurate rifle, I always think of a good copper-solvent....

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

i have a 740 that my grandfather bought as a first year production. it killed more deer than I-10. when it started having problems w/ ejection my father put it away and gave up. when it came to me i spent the better part of a sunday cleaning all the built up wd-40 and various oils out of the action.
I run her dry and she works like a dream.

and she shoots about 1.5" groups w/ a fixed 4 power.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sold maybe a dozen of the M760s in the early 70's. Mostly .243 and .270. The .243's would usually put 5 shots in about 3/4" and the .270's would usually be about 1". If your rifle is from this period don't give up on it. Clean the barrel really good, make sure the tube that holds the barrel to the receiver is really tight,(very important!!!) and have the muzzle recrowned. You might be suprised at the result. Bill

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am currently fighting a 742. with open sights it does 4" at 100 yds with a half-hearted effort on my part, but with a scope all bets are off. with a scope it shoots over 1 foot low at 100 yds. my latest unsuccessful idea was weaver pivot mounts and a weaver V-7 scope for a correct-ish package, but those mounts have to be killing me. worse than shotgun patterns. with a fixed weaver mount the horizontal spread was a few inches, but with the vertical adjustment all the way up, the stringing was horrible. so I have burris signature rings and an offset kit on the way, I will keep you informed of my progress, if any. yes mine is semi and yours is a pump, but they are cousins.

I tried some reloads and different ammo. Fed AE was horrible. danish M2 surplus is pretty good, greek surplus not quite as good, winchester 150-gr power point pretty good, 49 or 50 gr of IMR 4895, win brass and primer, win 150-gr sp bullet did pretty well too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might tell him to shoot the thing about 200 rounds to break it in. An clean it every once in a while during the process.

It may shoot better with handloads with about .002 clearance for headspace, especially if it is a .35 Remington.

When you test fire one of them for groups put your hand under the fore end and don't lean on it with your face. Never shoot it one handed, because you will use your face to hold it down and that will put pressure on the fore end.
The fore end is just riding on a steel tube screwed into the front of the receiver.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:

i have a 740 that my grandfather bought as a first year production. it killed more deer than I-10. when it started having problems w/ ejection my father put it away and gave up. when it came to me i spent the better part of a sunday cleaning all the built up wd-40 and various oils out of the action.
I run her dry and she works like a dream.

and she shoots about 1.5" groups w/ a fixed 4 power.

Pretty much my experience with early pump rifles. They went south when they went to the 7600 and the other itteration. Mine's a family gun too (1964), a 270 Carbine if you can believe it. Not much for velocity but it shoots side by side with bolt guns from the same period.

And Mike, those Ohio boys do a good job on triggers. They did mine and it is an improvement but it's still nothing like a good bolt gun trigger. It didn't make a practical difference in the rifle's huntability, FWTW.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend with a 742 and it didn't shoot. I had to finally do a thorough cleaning and I finally found a "magic" load of 53 graing of IMR4350 and a 180 grain bullet. Now it shoots very well, but only with that load. Go figure.

I guess what I am tyring to say is clean it well and try MANY different loads.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I should take a picture of my early 760 with tootsie roll forearm, carbine 18.5 barrel, alum. buttplate, and one of the prettiest pieces of factory feathercrotch walnut I've ever seen on a Remington. The wood is really outstanding and very unusual for a utilitarian rifle such as this. Nothing else special excpet for the Williams peep sight and it groups 180 grain Sierra Pro Hunters around an 1" at 50 yards using aforementioned peep sight, 55.5 grains of IMR 4350, and Lapua brass.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the US AMTU did, apart from fitting heavy barrels, to trick up the 760s built for the US team for International Running Deer competition in the early 1960s. They took out a couple of World Championships with these rifles.

Posts: 92 | Location: follow the yellow brick road | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted a Remington Gamemaster 760 with 2x7 Redfield mounted with Weaver rings and bases.

Some guy died in Alaska, and I got his old M70 with the old Red2x7 scope.

Now I just need the rifle.
I have seen them on gunshow tables for $275.

I also want to collect a couple 32acp's and a Carcano.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they worked and given the caliber of the folks that have responded already, probably not. BUT, didn't Williams (the sight folks) make or still make an accuracy block for these? At this point it might be worth the try if you can find one.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote