THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 1917 Enfield rifles - any pictures?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend of mine is considering building a custom 1917 Enfield - I have looked through every book I have and have yet to find a picture of a custom '17 that he likes - would you guys post some pictures of your 1917's to give us some idea which way to go? I appreciate your help. Thanks

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington model 30 enfield thats was customized years ago that I need a scope mounting sytem for. Also have a Remington 720 that I need to restock after I finish other projects.

\ I was thinking of getting my model 30 over to Tom Burgess in Kalispel to find a side mount system that will bolt on or drill and tap and make bases for it.

Who else works on enfields?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
This is a p-17 from Winchester...it's a .375 H&H with a three position M-70 type safety, a cock on opening conversion, a Shilen Barrel, a Timney trigger and was built back in the days when white spacers was popular......and I'm going to fix that soon.

The stock is from Bishop of Warsaw Missoiri and the agate imbedded was found in Montana.....it shoots good, is about the right weight for a big bore and is among my favorite guns.....the P-17 should be reserved for big guns.....like the .404 Jeffery.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/p2ff5ab16eae7c0afc73b5e877d6aac1d/fa0b1167.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/p384f354890e31b9292da37c001b22dc0/fa0b115f.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/p1a237a9a8d5b45fc660645befd99dcef/fa0b1152.jpg

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
vapodog, thanks that is one of the better looking 1917's that I have seen - does it have the standard magazine box? My friend is considering a blind magazine to get the lines he is looking for. Thanks, again

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that I post recently a picture of the bolt stop and tang area of 1917's, mine next to one that had been customized, showing some of what might be done. I cannot get to the picture to relink it right now, they have the sight where it is at blocked, but if you click on my name and bring up my other posts you will find reference to the 1917 and the pic should show there.

I will try to take some pics of my 35 whelen AI later tonight, it isn't a show gun, but is a good looking sporter.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
It has the standard magazine box except it's been lengthened to hold the .375 H&H cartridge.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P14 6.5-300 Win mag Cherrywood stock 26"Bevan King barrel

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=76509&c=500&z=1"][/url]

Rich

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Here's what can be done with an Enfield action:

www.hallowellco.com/Echols%20Burgess%20416.htm

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

AD

Truly a work of art!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of RifleDude
posted Hide Post
Here's my bubba'd 1917 Enfield. New bolt handle, jewelled bolt, straightened floorplate, re-contoured rear bridge, slimmed down safety, home-made walnut sporter stock, Mauser type bolt release/stop and adjustable trigger. Just needs a blueing job.

Posts: 9 | Location: South of Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2004Reply With Quote
<SDH>
posted
Several photos of the companion to the Burgess/Echols Enfield can be seen in my book Custom Rifles in Black & White. Check it out at fandangopress.com Other Titles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

AD

That's an incredibly beautiful rifle. Problem is, who would want to take it into the field hunting and run the risk of getting it messed up?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The question should be who wouldn't? It would be criminal not to hunt with that rife.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very beautiful.
Can someone tell me if the shroud is by Echols or something available?
Thanks,
FRank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that Tom Burgess did that metal work. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I believe that our own Tom Burgess ("system98") did all of the action work, plus the scopemounts. D'Arcy did all the stockwork, plus, I believe, barreling, chambering, and bluing.

I'm with Jeff, that rifle's too good to NOT hunt with, and from what I hear, it's a real shooter. I can't imagine a better rifle for lion, buffalo, etc. These guys build 'em to hunt with.........

AD

<Guest>
posted
I am not sure where I remember seeing it, but I believe there were also a couple of very very fine 1917s that were extensively modified by Ted Blackburn. I believe they were called The Cape Buffalo Rifle. May have been one of the Guild's auctions, in which case there would probably be photos someplace.

Anybody else remember that rifle and where there may be a photo of it?

As far as the shroud goes, I believe that at one time Jim Wisner made 3 position safety shrouds that fit the enfield rifles. And I believe that Blackburn makes bottom metal for them as well. Looks in the photo like a regular Mauser ejector was somehow fitted.

I agree with Allen. Who cares what the rifle costs,whether its expensive or cheap. A rifle like that deserves to be taken hunting.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post

AD

That's an incredibly beautiful rifle. Problem is, who would want to take it into the field hunting and run the risk of getting it messed up?

Come on guys, that's like having a beautiful wife and just looking at her. It's worth getting messy!

gunmaker
http://users.elknet.net/chico

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
RifleDude

Welcome to AR.
Are you doing the work your self? What caliber? Hay, it may not be on par with the Burgess/Echols rifle, how many are? But it sure looks like the start to a fine hunting rifle to be proud of.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote