New
Find
Notify
Tools

M98 Buehler safety left side
 Login/Join

posted
Do any of you gentelman know of a source for
a M98 buehler type safety that swings on the left side of the action?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like these? Ive been wondering if these fit and function as good as a original FN safety, anyone used one of these?

I would like to find some original FN safetys at a good price because I have 3 shrouds already notched for them

http://www.sporterexpress.com/v2/cgi-bin/csvread.pl?sho...0-115&mytemplate=tp2

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well for that price it sure would be worth trying. Midway gets $27 for the Timney/buehler right side safety.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The Buehler type usually only require a little grinding /fitting of the front of the pivot as they are a 2 piece safety. The type shown require a slot be ground/milled in the bolt sleeve to hold safety in. Both work equally as well in my opinion. I like the looks of the Buehler style best. Didn't see the tab on the left side safety. It looks like a neat installation and I rather like the shorter arm it appears to have. Cheap enough too. I don't think I've ever seen one exactly like it. Only point that might require fitting is the protrusion that locks the bolt from lifting.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a picture of this kind of safety installed? I'd like to see how the required slotting looks. I've used the 2-piece ones before, and have wished to not have to deal with the tiny screws and springs. If this left-side one does away with those extra pieces, it might be worth doing soem extra fitting (plus it's a lot cheaper).

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have a picture of this kind of safety installed? I'd like to see how the required slotting looks.

This is really a Pi$$ poor picture but it was the best of 8. The groove is on the left side about 1/8" in from the back and about 1/4" top to bottom.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression the safety I posted the link to didnt need a slot in the shroud like the FN. Looks like that little hook holds it on just like the military safety

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was under the impression the safety I posted the link to didnt need a slot in the shroud like the FN. Looks like that little hook holds it on just like the military safety

After looking again I think you are correct. If that is the case then it would be almost a drop in.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beuhler is still in business in Orinda, CA. They may have exactly what you want there.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Numerich Arms used to sell the safety you are referring to; I bought several as I am a southpaw and have installed a couple in various 98's. They were dirt cheap at the time, around $7.00 or so. Other than mounted on the left side I can tell no difference in function.

Good luck and good shooting,

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ive got one of those on an M-48, got it from Numrich. Some folks dont like them because they fit a bit loosley and they say they are too soft. Ive not had any problems with the hardness, but it is a bit sloppy. I thought about puting a little punch mark on the shaft to try to snug it up a bit. I wouldnt hesitate to use them again. But Im not real big on saftey useage, I feel an empty chamber is the best saftey.

One thing I do like about these left side cheapie safteys is that they can be used kind of like a flag saftey for bolt dissasembly, it works pretty slick. Much eaysier than a beuhler type.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Dayton side safetys . It flops around loosely but has a nylon plug that fits in a hole in the shaft to keep it from flopping. Just dont like it. Cheapo!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only left side safety of any quality is the original FN, which came with its own fitted shroud (tightly milled slot on left side).

The inexpensive aftermarket safeties (with the arm) will fit on any 98 pattern shroud. They are a slop fit.

You can often find the FN shrouds with safety on E-Bay and such. Prices usually run $50-75. I installed one on this 1938 Brno model A in 8x60.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote