New
Find
Notify
Tools

A TRUE sporter in 6.5x.284?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen, I have seen quite a few posts over the last several months that address the issue
of building a 6.5x284. But what most of you fellas are calling a sporter (26" + heavy barrels)
isn't exactly my idea of a "sporter." More like an antelope/beanfield gun. I want to know if
anyone has built a real "sporter weight" rifle in this caliber? I mean, 22" lightweight barrel,
short action, syn. stock - something that is going to weigh 7 to 7 1/4 # w/ a light weight scope
(2.5x8 Leu.)?

If so, what action did you use? Will a Rem.700 be long enough or do you have to use a M-70
short? Barrel? Weight? Accuracy? Problems? I really want to build me one of these and
any previous experience would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beartrack, mine is a lighter weight sporter. I built mine on an intermediate action Spanish FR8 mauser that was originally chambered in 308. I put on a Timney trigger and replaced the safety. Then I sent it to Montana Rifleman and had Brian put on a 20" #1 contour barrel with a 1:9" twist. I finished a walnut stock myself and once I put on the Weaver V3 scope I was done except for the sight in. It shoots under an inch at 100yds and I have one two shot group that is touching at 200. The whole thing is about 7# with the scope and I love it. My 12 year old daughter will be using it this fall for deer.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't have any first hand experience with a 6.5 x 284 sporter (I have worked extensively with a .25/.284, however).

Most of your questions can be answered by reviewing the record available on the 6.5 Remington Magnum. It is basically a belted 6.5 x 284, with an overall length and case capacity within an hair's breadth.

Remington factory chambered it in both their 600 series carbine and their regular Model 700, using the short action. From this I infer that they found the overall length compatable. They did limit their factory loadings to a 120 grain bullet, as I recall. I owned a Ruger 77 in the Remington 6.5 chambering (also on a short action), and used 120 grain Sierras successfully for whitetails in it. I would guess that you would find it necessary to seat something like a 140 grain Nosler partition very deep in the short Remington action, but I think the lighter bullets are much better suited to it anyway.

Good luck with your project.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote