New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sav 99 work
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
PO Ackley said the 25/35 imp was a good choice for the Sav 99 and needed only minor action work to feed.
I'm not sure how much "minor" is, but it needs some.
Anyone know of a smith who has done one, that could turn my single shot sav 99 into a working one? It was a .303 savage originally.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rotary magazine? They are cartridge specific

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plainly, P.O. Ackley's idea of minor action work is in disagreement with mine. Each recess in the spool has to be altered to fit the "Improved" cartridge. It's a bit of a chore. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olsen agreed to give it whirl. He said as long as I don't tell his wife, she said not to take on anymore weird shit!
He didn't seem to feel it was going to be all that bad to make feed.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
So after Dennis gets it to feed. You will need nice new wood. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That has crossed my mind!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
That has crossed my mind!

Great minds. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried a .250-3000 rotor with your .25-35AI cartridges?

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Dennis Olsen agreed to give it whirl. He said as long as I don't tell his wife, she said not to take on anymore weird shit!

Dennis Olsen is clearly insane, is looking for something that will keep him in the shop and away from his wife for a month or a sucker for abuse. When people bring me Savage 99s, I hit them with a stick !

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hope you are not paying him by the hour.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He didn't seemed troubled by the idea. Said he had a 99 with a steel spool that he had to machine to get working. The funny thing is the cartridges line up with the chamber just fine as is. It's that it's to abrupt an angle to slide into the chamber. That and the chamber mouth wasn't chamfered at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He didn't seemed troubled by the idea.

Yeah yeah yeah. I know the type. They go green and shingle their roofs with solar panels. Spend all of their time bitching about stuff and protesting everything. Eventually they get a job at the DMV and spend the rest of their lives making everyone elses life miserable too. At some point in time they end up joining some kind of cult and just, disappear.

Oh wait, that's democrats. I'm easily distracted. OH LOOK, A SQUIRREL !

coffee LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Speer, for that I'm crossing you off the list of smiths to put a tactical knob on my Quackenbush .22! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
for that I'm crossing you off the list of smiths to put a tactical knob on my Quackenbush .22

But I think a spoon handle would look better.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK Speer, for that I'm crossing you off the list of smiths to put a tactical knob on my Quackenbush .22! Big Grin

Such silliness. You can't put a large bolt handle on the Quackenbush because the added mass will cause it to miss-fire and a spoon type would hurt your delicate, widdle puddys because it's a straight-pull-cocker. You could however make a small knobbity type bolt handle, similar to what the Belgians used on the single shot rabbit guns.

belgium 22 by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the picatinny rail for it so I can put my flashlight,laser and holo sight on?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about the picatinny rail for it so I can put my flashlight,laser and holo sight on?

I actually put a cantilever mount on a Quackenbush for a guy. The swingy bolt just slid out to the right underneath of it slick as you please. His kid could shoot the eye out of a gopher and 100 yards 8 days of the week!

Rod Henrickson