New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rigby Retro/Tropical/Safari?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Big Grin As we all know "The difference of men and boys is the price of their toys" Roll Eyes I would like to have one of those older British safari rifles. I just can't afford $4k or better for a Rigby. What I would like to do is to modify an existing rifle or build one on a Mauser action. Price is an obgect!!! Dose anyone make a stock with a short forearm and a small cheekpiece? The Boyds JRS would work if the cheekpiece was thinner/shorter. My gunsmith tells me that anything put on a barrel affects accuracy. If one puts a barrel-band sling swivle and front sight, will this destroy the accuracy. BYA, I use a sling to carry, not shoot. By now, you know what I'm getting at. What do you think? thanks for your indulgences, capt david. BTW Would any of you lucky ones with an old Rigby please send me some pictures or send me to a websight where they might be obtained. thanks again. troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
If you can find one, I think you'd be happy with a Whitworth Express in .375 H&H. These were built on the Zastava Mauser action, and imported by Interarms They haven't been imported for quite a while, but they are excellent, generally accurate, and functional rifles built in the slim pre-war British magazine rifle pattern. They are a great buy for the money, and I've seen them semi-regularly at gunshows, and usually in near-new condition. Price should be under $1,000......

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well captdavid, you are going to have to join the club...

Is there a member among us that wouldn't want the same???

Let me point you toward Great American Gunstocks- (somewhere I try to avoid)- this is the only place I have ever seen a semi inlet stock pattern for a pre war Rigby- unless you want magnum- then the classic english express pattern might be a good start- Get the utility walnut and build a pattern off of it to your barreled action...

I know there are other semi inletters out there way better than GAG. The thing is they may have 2600 stock patterns BUT they don't lable number, name or photograph them for us buyers to be able to refer to a specific design- GAG does...

If you aren't the DYI type of guy, I feel a Rigby rip off would come in way under 4 grand...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys and keep the replies comming. I don't really want a 375. It's to big for any game I'm likely to shoot. The candidates for my 'Rigby' are 7x57, 300H&H, and 30-06. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I suggest that you contact Ray atkinson on this forum. He just bought this 404 Jeffery from Cabelas 404 at Cabelas

Now knowing that Ray is one of the few true gun whores of the world. I think it can be had.

The 404 Jeffery will go a long way to help with your nostalgic journey to Africa.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rigby No.2 stock design is the rounded pistol gripped slim short forend dropped for iron sights.

The No.5 is the drop box magnum stock with classical lines IMHO.

I would like to find a No.5 pattern that can be adapted to standard magazine... You could build a medium bore on this pattern or slim it down even further for a .275 Rigby (7x57)... Mauser inletting of course!

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Taje a look at this:
http://www.hataritimes.com/e/leseproben/7_57.pdf

I made me a "275 Rigby" from an old Francotte 7x57 I found for the eqv. of 300$
Not exactly true to the real Rigby but something like it
[/IMG]

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I'm talking about!!! capt david troll

one of us
posted Hide Post
captdavid,
Here's a picture of an original Rigby in .375 H&H that I scanned from Tom Turpin's Custom Rifles book... good stuff!
Orig Rigby in .375 H&H

There was a Gary Goudy "Rigby" stock for a Siamese on ebay a few weeks back. I believe it was probaby a Great American Gunstock piece.
Jeff P

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pfeifer:
captdavid,
Here's a picture of an original Rigby in .375 H&H that I scanned from Tom Turpin's Custom Rifles book... good stuff!
Orig Rigby in .375 H&H

There was a Gary Goudy "Rigby" stock for a Siamese on ebay a few weeks back. I believe it was probaby a Great American Gunstock piece.
Jeff P

Thats a nice looking .375 H&H !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Oh my, Alf. I must quote Atkinson about the .404 Oberndorf: I would kill without hesitation for a rifle like that.
Don´t you need a Moisin Nagant Dragoon model or something for a trade? A 7,65 Parabellum, a Walther P38, an old Python....anything
Roll Eyes

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God Alf I would love to own your collection of guns there great !! beer

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I was happy with my Whitworth Express and then
ALF gose and post that damn Rigby.
Thanks Big Grin
Beautiful-Beautiful

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does envy sometimes feel like hate? Because if not, I hate you Alf. Big Grin

As always, the fire of desire is now fueled. I was talking to my stepfather just the other day about how some day I wanted a 275 Rigby made up just like an original.

Thanks for the pics.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeBee:

Let me point you toward Great American Gunstocks- (somewhere I try to avoid)- this is the only place I have ever seen a semi inlet stock pattern for a pre war Rigby- unless you want magnum- then the classic english express pattern might be a good start- Get the utility walnut and build a pattern off of it to your barreled action...
DeBee - Does GAG really have a pattern for a Rigby Standard Model Mauser? I may have to inquire about that.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If you have a MkX you have enough wood to make up a pretty fair reprentation of the Rigby style. In fact Rigby used so little wood a lot of stocks can be used. The hardest part I found was making myself remove enough wood. Bedding of course has to be done correctly. I have done up five or six myself including two on the huge CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. I have a great little Husqvarna 30-06 that guild member Steve Berg built up in the Rigby style and you couldn't ask for a nicer little hunting rifle.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I say poppy cock to the barrel band sling swivel ruining accuracy. I put together an economy rifle with a VZ-24 action, midway barrel and had it chambered as a 350 Rigby, and yes it has a barrel band sling swivel. With the miliatary two stage trigger, and a leupold 2.5X compact, it will consistantly print 3/4" or better 3 shot groups at 100 yds. This in a wood stock. And it is consistant in it's POI, clean or dirty, hot or cold, dry or wet. I did completely seal the stock with epoxy.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote