THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    scoping a Pre-war M70 w/ only 2 holes in receiver?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

scoping a Pre-war M70 w/ only 2 holes in receiver?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I picked up a Pre-War/Pre-64 30/06 the other day. What a beauty!!!! Everything is in pristine condition, Wood doesn't even have a ding! and it even has a redfield peep sight on it. It is one from about 1940 or 41, old style safety (swing back to fire), and only two holes drilled and tapped into the receiver (forward of the bolt). Is there a special mount for this that I can get? Either a side mount or a top mount? I really don't want to drill into this receiver, but I want to put a scope on it. I have visions of a Bastogne Accrabond Laminate, and a 2.5-8 Vari X III for this rifle. Help me make my visions reality!!!!

[ 08-25-2003, 23:58: Message edited by: the444shooter ]

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Definitely do not drill any exta holes in the bridge. You can either use an old Baush & Lomb or Stith Mount to mount a scope. I'd use the B&L, which you should be able to locate on www.eBay.com.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THANKS!!!!!!!

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Definitely do not drill any exta holes in the bridge.

Why not?

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orion 1:
quote:

Why not?
As the Blue Book once put it... "That's a $500 hole. Read MINUS $500."

[Smile] [Eek!] [Smile]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually the old blue book said that "An extra set of "holes" can reduce value as much as 50%".

If you are that concerned about this as a collector, I would suggest you sell it. Or drill the two holes and sell it to me for half price. [Big Grin]

Sounds like a nice one. I got it's twin brother that was beat up and abused earlier this year. I only paid $315 for him but he is costing me a fortune in therapy. New stock, new barrel (the original 270 is waaaaaay past its prime).

[ 08-26-2003, 07:40: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made up a rear base a couple of weeks ago for another customer.

The rear base mounts in the rear holes on the side of the reciever, (the factory peep sight holes). Then the base moves up and forward and over center for the windage screws. It uses a factory Leupold front two piece base.

I can make more of these rear bases. It does not require any changes to the rifle.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Jim- do you happen to have a pic of that mount of yours?

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:
quote:
Originally posted by Orion 1:
quote:

Why not?
As the Blue Book once put it... "That's a $500 hole. Read MINUS $500."

[Smile] [Eek!] [Smile]

If the rifle is for shooting, not for show, drill away.

I like to make collectors cringe.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006

Sorry I did not take a pic of the rear base.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Actually the old blue book said that "An extra set of "holes" can reduce value as much as 50%".

OK Chic, you threw down the challenge, so I had to go find an old copy... [Wink]

In the Sixteenth Edition, it says "In terms of value, it's a $500 hole (read that subtract $500)."

So I missed a word or two, but I was CLOSE.... [Razz]

(Of course, you may have a different year with your phrase in it too).

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the rifle is for shooting, not for show, drill away.

I like to make collectors cringe.

If it really is a "pristine" pre-war, it would be much wiser to sell it, buy a an early Type III to shoot, and pocket the difference.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore,
You win, my issue was the Nineteenth with my verbage, but you certainly quoted your copy accurately. I want to find one with 4 holes though and see if they owe me, lol.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK Chic, it's a draw. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim...
how much does your mount cost?