Find
Notify
Tools

bedding or scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted
So, I go out to the range this morning with my brand new Sightron SII 6-24 on a 30-338 magnum. I have shot this rifle with other scopes on it. The 1st was a tasco with miserable results. However, I was clicking the scope elevation from 100 yards to 500 and back again. The next was a Leupold VX1 that I sighted in for hunting and it held zero just fine for 10 rounds once zeroed. So anyways, I start shooting at 50 yards to verify boresight and drop 2 rounds in the same hole and adjust scope setting to bullseye and drop one in. So I think..perfect! Then I go to the 200 yard backstop with 17 rounds loaded with RL22 and 165gr sierra match. The loads are stepped at .3 grain intervals starting at 70.5 and ending at 75.3 per the barnes book and Steves pages. The 1st 2 rounds hit about 2 inches low dead center. The rest of the rounds fired begin to move to the right at about 1 inch per round fired until they are off the paper at round 14. I then change my point of aim to the upper left corner of the target to see where they are hitting. The last rounds land 1 foot to the right of point of aim. So... I run my little piece of paper between the barrel of the rifle and the forarm of the stock to check bedding. There is a bit of contact between the stock and the base of the barrel on the right side about an inch from the action. Next I pull the bolt and give it a crude bore sight but at 200 yards it's hard to tell with any certainty.

So now the question is:

Will that bit of bedding be enough to change the point of impact that much as the barrel heats? Or should I be looking at the scope?

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have the answer, only what I would do.
1) glass the action and clearance the barrel
2) shoot slower, letting the barrel cool between shots.
3) Take the scope and rings off, and check that the mounts are tight to the action.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45otto:
The last rounds land 1 foot to the right of point of aim. So... I run my little piece of paper between the barrel of the rifle and the forarm of the stock to check bedding. There is a bit of contact between the stock and the base of the barrel on the right side about an inch from the action.

Usually when barrel contact is the suspected culprit, the area of contact will be on the opposite side of the direction of travel.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
So I pulled the stock off the action and low and behold there is this huge crack running right up the center of the stock through the floor plate, trigger extending up the forend. This is a boyds laminated stock less than 100 rounds through it. I think that stock is junk now!

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
quote:
The last rounds land 1 foot to the right of point of aim. So... I run my little piece of paper between the barrel of the rifle and the forarm of the stock to check bedding. There is a bit of contact between the stock and the base of the barrel on the right side about an inch from the action.

Usually when barrel contact is the suspected culprit, the area of contact will be on the opposite side of the direction of travel.

OR,

You could have a crack running right up the center of the stock!

Good luck!

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s bad...right? Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.. there is this huge crack running right up the center of the stock .. This is a boyds laminated stock less than 100 rounds through it. I think that stock is junk now!

In my knee jerk reaction to the anecdotes of my life, I have already reached the point where I will never do business with Boyd's again. Your post just re enforces my decision.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was working in R&D at Allied-Signal I had a poster on the wall behind my desk.

The picture showed a pristine Corvair in the middle of an empty street... INVERTED.

the caption on the poster was:
Excellence is never making the same mistake ONCE.

The lesson is that NOBODY is perfect.

If a laminated stock from Boyd's split, contact boyds and see if they'll do anything about it before running to "knee jerk".

What action is this? as some actions seem to be more prone to split stocks than others....

AllanD

reactions.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
first thing i'd do is to call boyds - i think you'll find they will stand behind their product. 2nd thing is to quite using that blasto #2 powder 6000 FPS is just to much for the stock Wink

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Not for nothin butchloc,

I have used several Boyds stocks with great results on lighter kicking rifles like the 6.5x55 and .270 win. I will call them to resolve the issue. I do believe they will stand behind there product. But if the Boyds lamintaed stocks won't hold up to the recoil of my .30-338 then perhaps they are not the correct stock for the job. I will not be loading down my rifles to save a stock. I will simply get a more durable stock and continue to load my blasto#2 to 6000 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m am hardly a fan of Boyd’s, but I’m sure that even McMillan has had a fluke stock slip through on occasion that ended up cracking or breaking from recoil. It happens sometimes and I wouldn’t automatically assume that Boyd’s stocks aren’t sturdy enough to handle just about any recoil your shoulder can.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
A little update for you guys.

It seems Boyds only stands behind their product for 90 days. Then if you modify (read that as glass bedding) the product, the 90 day warranty is VOID. Looks like 200 bucks in the crapper. Another life lesson learned.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Is it possable to salvage the stock. West System Epoxy or Accracglass, and a couple of hidden stock bolts should do it.

Depends on if you have the extra cash for a new one I guess. Me, I'd try and repaire it... I'm cheap that way.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nothing will crack a stock faster than loose screws. They have to be tight so nothing moves!

Posts: 53 | Location: Meadow Lake, Sask., Canada | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote