New
Find
Notify
Tools

mauser model 98 question
 Login/Join

<GJS>
posted
I'm a young man wondering about starting to put together my own firearm. I wondered how I should go about changing a model 98 to a lighter weight sporting rifle in a smaller caliber such as 260 Remington or mabe even 257 Roberts. If you could give me any hints or just a set of guidelines I would be very appreciative.
Thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all, you are the only one who can decide whether he will keep his Model 98, and buy another gun, or would rather rework it. Maybe your barrel is shot out ?

As to the 6,5 mm caliber group, you will hear nothing but praise. There recently was a thread here on one of the boards about the diverse 6,5 mm cartridges compared. The 6,5 x 55 Swedish ranks right with the top, as far as popularity is concerned. Another factor is the wide availability of so many different factory loads.

The 6,5-08 (alos called .260 Rem) is simply superfluous, in my eyes, and an answer to a non-existing question. Somebody just wanted to concoct yet another .308 derivate. It can't do more or better than the 6,5 x 55, and if you really need extra oomph in a short case, rather go the full way to the very good 6,5-284, now factory standardized by Norma.

As to the action, you won't go wrong with any Model 98 action from a decent maker which you can sporterize then - but why not buy a used Swedish Husqvarna Mauser ?

Best regards,
Carcano

[ 06-16-2002, 21:51: Message edited by: carcano91 ]

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GJS,
Congratulations, you found this forum. I've been here for 7 months and people here are very helpful. Sporterizing a 98 is very hot topic here, you will find a lot of related stuff.

For putting together a sporter, you need :

A wood stock : www.Boydboys.com
Or synthetic stock : look for a company called RamLine(they should have a site but I don't have it)

A barrel : Factory take-off barrels are very reasonably priced, second to that is pre-contoured, pre-chambered barrel from one of those barrel makers.

A trigger : Timney sporter triggers works good, I've been happy with them.

Get a low-clearance bolt-handle and low-swing safety if you can, it gives you lower line of sight, it's much more comfortable(and looks nicer) than a high scope ring setup.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a low-clearance bolt-handle and low-swing safety if you can, it gives you
lower line of sight, it's much more comfortable(and looks nicer) than a high scope
ring setup.

Oh Canada,
Are you talking about just reworking the bolt or are there replacement handles? I want to build a 6.5-06 on an old 98. The bolt is why I have not as yet. It has already been reworked but still won't work with a scope unless you use very high scope mounts.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jacobite,
(I guess you are talking to me, "Oh, Canada" is where I am from) [Big Grin]
Yes I mean a seperate bolt handle, you can get it from Brownells or Numrich Gun Parts.
It sort of look like a Ruger M77 bolt handle : It curves into the stock, then sticks out.

See here : http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=104770&chrSuperSKU=

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotek,
Sorry, yes I ment you. Was having a brain fart when i posted my message. Thanks for the answer. I am looking at having E.W. Shaw from Bridgeville PA. put my barrel on and do that work. They are very reasonable. I am sure they can rework the bolt but want to know my options. Thanks.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote