New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel band
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there such a thing as a "split" barrel band for sling swivel that can be used on a barrel with front sight already attached??

Somebody who know?

Thanks;
Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brett, I thought I heard somebody doing this before, the problem you are going to have is in getting it to look like one piece after you are done. Have you considered a traditional barrel mounted sling stud that is not a band? The earliest sporting mausers were done that way I think. It looks sleek and classy and won't require anything other than rebluing that part of the barrel afterwards.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of one, and would be suspect of it's ability to hold. If you had it soldered in place, you'd have to refinish the barrel anyhow, so might as well remove the front sight to locate it.

There are some barrel sling mounts that are an island that is attached in place, ie similiar to a rear sight base.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. It's for a P-64 M70 with a machined in place front sight island. I would really rather have a shorter barrel and a band but just can't persuade myself to cut off that lovely machined in place island.

Brett

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Half-bands are attractive and relatively easy for a good metal worker.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I did one once, or rather my gunsmith did. He machined a channel out of the top of the band just wide enough to clear the sides of the front sight base and soldered it into place prior to rebluing. Looked good, held well too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have had several of them in the rather distant past, and mine all worked satisfactorily. Darned if I can remember which company made them though....

They looked a lot like the ones that are made to encircle the magazine tubes of the Marlin and Winchester lever rifles, but with a very slight taper in their "bore". To use, one just slightly spread them, popped them into place around the barrel, then inserted the sling swivel between the two bottom ends of the band, inserted a screw (supplied with the barrel band) through the two bottom ends of the band and top end of the swivel, and tightened the whole assembly.

A little expoxy between the band and the barrel wouldn't hurt either.

I know this will (rightfully?) horrify many, but in the old days it was even considered kosher by some to put a little iodine between the band and the barrel, if the installation was meant to be permanent. The iodine would solidify everything a bit by causing a light touch of surface rust on the outside of the barrel and the inside of the swivel band.

Naturally, this whole assembly, rusted in place or not, was NOT quick detachable, and repeated removal and replacement of the band would cause problems as the band work hardened (and even might crack).

An undesirable feature to some folks was that they just swiveled forward and backward, not in a gimble manner.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote