New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 head space
 Login/Join

<dickens>
posted
i reamed a 223 barrel to 22-250 and i am getting .oo9 streach on my fired brass should i cut the barrel shoulder back , it could cause trouble because it is a rem. and has the ring on the bolt end . how much is to much brass streach and would it be accurate with this much.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Dickens,

[Big Grin] Okay, I'll bite. But before I address your problem would you answer a couple of questions for me please.

Do you understand the concept of headspace? Do you understand the concept of pressure as it is related to firearms? How much stretch do you think a cartridge should have and still be safe?

Answer these and then I will assist you if I can.

Regards,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
dickens, if you neck size all the fireformed brass that you run through the gun, and reload them they wont stretch any more!....I know I have cut at least .01 off the ends of some brass I have trimmed...what sticks out past the shoulder has little to do with head space, although i am sure the brass grew across its total length. But you may be set. Is there any signs where seperatation usually occurs?...cut a few in half and look at the area where seperation happens... also think about how much a full length resizer shortens a case compared to a fired case....I dont know the number off the top of my head, but its possible you could be in the ballpark already...maybe you started with short cases to begin with!........I made some go-nogo headspace gages years ago...seems I found the info in some reloading books.....good luck......bob

Posts: 125 | Location: ct | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
IF YOU HAD HEADSPACED YOUR CHAMBERING JOB, and cut a good chamber, there should be NO longitudinal stretching of your cases AT ALL, and very little expansion ahead of the solid web!

<G.Malmborg>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 222blr:
dickens, if you neck size all the fireformed brass that you run through the gun, and reload them they wont stretch any more!

If dickens brass is stretching .009 to the rear and not merely growing in length at the neck, then he has a problem which could have disastrous results. To suggest he merely neck size his fireformed brass in an effort to prevent further stretching, is probably not a wise plan for him to follow.

That said, if he meant that the brass was "growing" and not "stretching" .009, then sure, he should simply trim the brass back a safe distance. But this is not how I interpreted his post. Based on the way his post was phrased, I am assuming that the brass is stretching "to the rear" and that he may want to set the barrel shoulder back to close it up, in which case I would suggest, he should probably put the gun down and seek help with this project...
[Smile]

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would question him on how he measured the cases to get the .009 of stretch. Also, are you starting with new brass? If using brass that has been full length resized you might have caused your problem of excessive headspace. This is not a topic to be treated lightly nor ignored if unsure of how properly understand and deal with it. Opinions by Jay.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<dickens>
posted
the stretch i have is from a mid point of the shoulder to the case rim . and is the difference from a new factory round , and the same round after firing. i have very little expansion around the head . i recut the chamber myself and can cut shoulder back if needed. i have seen no problems with the brass so far, but i do not want to leave it if it,s not within specks. thanks for all the help so for.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Dickens,

How are you obtaining the measurement? How did you set the depth of your chamber? That direction of stretch you mention would indicate excess headspace.

.009 is an awful lot for the brass to stretch to the rear. If your measurements are accurate, then to be safe, you will need to move the shoulder back to close this distance. If you haven't done this before then I would really recommend having a gunsmith do this. If you have done this before but never on a Remington, then it isn't much different.

You say it is a Remington, so whatever you end up taking off the shoulder, you will likewise have to remove from the threaded end of the barrel. You will then need to deepen the bolt nose recess at the back of the barrel by the amount you took off the shoulder so that the bolt will close.

If you do not have a guage to set the depth of your chamber, then you can use a BRAND NEW factory case as a guide. With this case in the chamber, you want to have .004-.005 clearance between the head of the case and the bolt face. You will lose approximately .002 when you pull the barrel up tight leaving you a total clearance of .002 or .003 at the most, which is fine for a hunting rifle.

Inquiring minds want to know how you're progressing so let us know...

Good luck,

Malm