THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cut the stock much Bigger than the Pattern?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
If you were having a stock cut using an existing stock as your pattern. How much larger would you want your new stock cut. Taking into consideration final sanding etc?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ .060" is what I use as a general rule, at least when I use Al Lind.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
+ .060"

That is per each surface correct?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Yes, per surface in the action, barrel channel, ect.

All of mine have been +.050" Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do it a bit different on mine than most semi-inlet makers do.

I do about .025" on the main pieces of the stock where it is non-critical what the final dimensions are, but leave about .060 on the inletting and wrist. I'd rather have a 90% inlet stock than a 98% any day. Allows for error, and gives some room for making it fit well if the new action is a bit different than the one in the stock you use.

If you want anything different on the blank than the pattern, just tape a shim or block of wood or whatever in that area, and you'll leave extra material to work with in the blank.

dave

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What on a pattern that was bedded and fit to your barreled action? I was told .010 on the inletting and .030 on the outside. Can't remember from who but I think Ed Shulin.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since all of my clients are "special". The pattern is used just as a starting place. I ask Al Lind to leave +.020 ID and +.125 OD on a rifle pattern. I only have him carve the head on a two piece stock to the same numbers above. I agree is causes more muscle work for me, but it allows for customer measurements to be fine tuned during final shaping. This also allows the client to direct final outside shape detailing to their preference...if they have any....most do.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kind of why I asked, I haven't had much done but when I did the stockmaker fit the pattern to me and then had it duped. Then saves the pattern with my name on it. That way it just needs rebedding and maybe a small adjustment for the next time. He doesn't have premade patterns and makes each one for each client. I didn't know if that was the norm in the industry.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I thought I was leaving a touch too much wood on my pattern. Measured two and came up closer to .085 per side on the outside. close to .034 on the inletting. Guess I need remove a touch more wood in the future.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't leave too much but you sure can take too much.
I have gotten them from Richards microfit,
that I have taken off 1.25 pound from a 3.5 pound stock. Kenny

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have gotten them from Richards microfit

Yes I know I've gotten theirs in the past. I would just prefer not to be in their "lack of class" league.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I wouldn't put anyone here in that league. All I meant for my part, I don't care if it is too big, I just don't want it too small. Kenny

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't put anyone here in that league. All I meant for my part, I don't care if it is too big

Kenny,

I sure didn't take your comment as a negative. I agree 100% a little extra wood is far better than not enough. tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K