THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repair/replace Rem 1100 Stock Suggestions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This weekend, I dropped and chipped the stock of my 1100 where it joins the receiver. I have been unable to find all the "chips." This is a skeet grade gun with nice wood, but one that fits me and shoots birdshot, buckshot and slugs very well.

I have a quote for a Rem factory replacement stock (wood grade unknown) for $195. Problem: does it match grain and color of forearm?

I have called around and found uncheckered and unfinished forearm and stock. They would cost about $70+postage and I would have finish them. I don't mind doing this, but what would it cost to have them checkered after finishing them? Also what filler and stain would you recommend to achieve a Rem like finish?

Another approach would be to have someone finish and checker a foreend and stock from the get go. What is a reasonable cost for this work?

The last option would be to epoxy the chips that I have and fill the missing area with a filler, stain it and refinish the existing stock. This will not be beautiful, but serviceable and I use this shotgun about every three years or so to shoot skeet or quail.

Suggestions and Comments requested!!!Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Numrich Arms has a ton of factory and after market stocks and forends for 1100 shotguns.

http://www.e-gunparts.com

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WWW.sportsmansguide.com has some Remington shotgun stocks as does Brownells.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock on a remington 3200 special trap that I once had cracked. I sent it back to remington and they matched up the wood on the new stock to the forearm very well. This was about fifteen years ago or so. I was very happy with the finished product. Last year I picked up a 1100 stock from Gun Parts, nice enough stock but no checkering. It has a sporting clays configuration. I like it so far cost was about 100.00 dollars.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you elect to finish the stock yourself and want an idea of some basic checkering costs you might want to look at ahlmans.com.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Considering you only use it "every three years", either buy a new Remington wood set or even a synthetic stock and fore end.
BTW, the stain and filler don't have anything to do with a factory Remington finish. The filler and stain (if they use any) are under 1/16" of clear polyurethane!

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote