Find
Notify
Tools

MRC 1999 Actions- lets hear some recent reports
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted
I read some threads from 2-4 years ago about poor or rough quality in certain instances.

Anyone have a MRC 1999 from the last year or two?
How is it? Smooth? accurate?

Would you buy or build off of one nowadays? Lemme know....

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I orderd one a couple of months ago for a customer. Still haven't heard a word.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my Montana Rifle .257 Roberts. I got it earlier this year after waiting 4 months. The action was in okay condition from the factory, but I wanted it more refined so I had the action worked over by Serengeti. I'm pleased with the work they did. I thought the bolt looked a little too plain for my taste so I sent it to Dennis Olson and he jeweled and knurled it.

The only quality problem I found with the action was the extractor was too loose and it wasn't ejecting shells consistently. But after I had it adjusted, it works fine.

It's got a McGowen Precision 23" barrel with a #2 contour, a McMillan Edge stock, Talley mounts, and a Leupold 3.5x10 scope. It weighs 8lbs 4oz. I found it likes the 110gr Accubond bullets best. The accuracy is pretty good and I am able to shoot lots of different bullets well from the 90 Sierra HPBT to the 120 Speer.

I originally had an Accurate Innovations wood stock on it, but it was too heavy. That is why I switched to the McMillan stock and that lightened things up by almost a pound. It also shot more accurately with the McMillan. If I were to choose the barrel again, I would probably go for #1 contour instead of #2 to lighten it up a little bit more.

If I ever build another gun that makes use of the 3" magazine, such as 6mm Rem, 257 Rob, 7x57, etc, then I would choose this action again. But I wouldn't choose this action for a cartridge that can easily fit in a 2.8" magazine, because there are so many lighter actions available. But for a cartridge designed for a Mauser action, MRC is a good option.

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
nice thanks
please keep the reports coming

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking rifle. Are you sure on the weight? Where is the weight? I just finished a Mod 7 with a Brown Orecision stock, #2 barrel, and a 2.5X8 Leupold and it weighs 6lbs7oz with scope caps.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, yep I'm sure of the weight. I've got a vintage 1930's baby scale with sliding weights that is more accurate than any newfangled electronic scale.

Here's roughly how the weight breaks down:
5lbs 9oz for barreled action
1 lb 1oz for scope, base, and rings
1 lb 10oz for stock (including bedding compound)

I took it deer hunting last week in the Sierra Mountains and it felt fine carrying around for several hours up and down the mountains. It does balance well when shooting offhand. I didn't get a deer, but did get an unsuspecting coyote I saw in the middle of a field.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just received my 5th action from them. The others all qualified for the term rough as they came from MRC. This last one is a quantum step up in smoothness. It is still basically a plain looking action but what can you expect for the money they charge. I have spent many hours smoothing the old ones I worked with, this new one will require virtually no work in that department. Needs to have the bolt dressed up a bit but since it's going to be a synthetic stocked stainless rifle it's going to be pretty ugly no matter what else you do to it. just my opinion but that's what the guy wants and since he is paying the bills that's what he will get.

There are many things about which a wise man wishes to remain ignorant.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished a SS, Rh, LA, model 1999. It has a 26", 4 groove, 1:0, 10 Flute barrel. The fit and finish was much better than the one I did over a year ago.

Rustystud

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one built up in 35 Whelen and another in 458 Lott. Both are stainless. The Whelen has a Lilja barrel and the Lott has the standard MRC barrel.
Both feed and function fine at this point in time. The machining of the magazine box for the Lott was left with sharp edges and the follower caught when it was depressed but this was easily fixed.

I would gladly use another on a new rifle but they are a poor choice for someone looking to make a light rifle.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
Well I am getting one on a custom built from Hill Country. I will post results when I get it. THe rifle is new so this should be one of the later 1999 actions. Its coming cerakoted so I dont know how that will affect the short action cr-mo...