New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Titanium.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I´m building a 300 WSM around a Rem Titanium rifle at the moment. The action is probably the best made Remington action I have seen so far! The lugs only needed a light lapping before they made full contact in the reciver. The face of the reciver was really straight and true as well. The threads in the reciver was resonable true and was extremly well made.

The rifle now have a Shilen SM barrel on it and I think I´ll grab my sizzy-bag when I try the first rounds out Wink The rifle will tip the scale at about 6 lbs without the scope on it........

I´m a bit conserned about tightening the barrel in the action. Titanium is a bit likley to gaul, isn´t it? My plan is to put moly grease in the treads and on the face of the reciver.

Any ideas about this?

Stefan

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have built 2-one was as good as a Remington gets, the other was only so-so. I have just used oil on the SS barrel/action jont and have had not probelms, even after taking them both apart a few times. One of these was a SHilen BB (Shilen banana-barrel) and it really shoots. THe other one is still in the shop and needs to be put in the stock.

I have actually found the Ti pretty easy to work. I do use HSS and not carbide. Looke dup what the speeds needed to be with carbide and they were pretty high. I have done a lot o fturning and milling on the actions to get them lighter. They are just too darn heavy as they come from the factory!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I too have built several rifles on the Ti actions. One of my old instructors from gunsmithing school was a Remington warranty station and he told me that the Ti actions were prone to cracks and metallurgical problems. Have you guys encounterd any problems?

Chad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used HSS tools in the lathe and it cut the Titanium very well!

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that the "early" (they are only a few years old!) Ti receivers were machined by Prairie Gun Works in Winnipeg Canada. "PGW" had been marketing a Ti receiver before Remington introduced thier version. The story goes that Remington wasn't ready with thier machining setup but had irreversible plans to introduce the rifle...so they went to PGW to help them out. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

http://www.pgwdti.com/

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote