New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Price to have a blank duplicated?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just paid $135 to have one turned. But it can vary on what you want done. I would say 100 to 200. Having one turned is one thing, having one built is another.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson in Plains, MT will duplicate a stock- using your pattern or his- for $80. Top drawer work, too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the average price to have a blank turned to duplicate an existing stock?

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
belaw

I agree Dennis does top drawer work. However the last one he did for me that I just got back about a week ago cost me an even $100.00 to duplicate. His price has been in the $95.00 to $100.00 mark for a bit from what I hear from others. He uses a Don Allen duplicator and he has as he says "Got it figured out". There will be very little inletting to finish in the one I just received for a pre-64 model 70. I know all my blanks will be turned by him in the future also.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know Dennis duplicated stocks, I've talked to him about doing gun work, but never used him, nice guy, impressive guy to talk to.

I will give him a call, but anybody know what patterns he has.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Gringo Cazador

Dennis has several different patterns and also will duplicate one that anyone sends him, which I did. Several other people I know have done the same.

He also has a lot of blanks on hand in about any price range. He does a lot of duplicating and some of it is for fairly well known people in the gun making world. Call him for details about his various patterns. He'll be glad to answer any questions you have.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
A local gunnut refered me to Harry Lawson co. Tucson Az. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't pay over $120 (excluding wood), and for that it had better be perfect.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Turd-Burgler I don't think anyone would want your money.

Posts: 2340 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I charge $185.00 C. The extra $65 covers customer attitude.

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I wouldn't pay over $120 (excluding wood), and for that it had better be perfect.

ASS_CLOWN

You wouldn't pay anything because you don't own a gun.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now there you go again with that misinformation.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Turd Boy, I see you've floated to the top again. Oh well, I'll just flush twice, it's a long way to Todd and Judy's place.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Jeez not another one.. Latley it seem like this forum is getting more trolls than worth while threads..

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Peter's reply nailed it quite nicely. There is a big difference between the level of precision, especially in the inletting, between a $65.00 job and something you will get from the likes of, say, John Vest. I cannot speak for the other stockmakers Peter mentioned, but John Vest uses a Hoenig duplicator and the result is almost a perfect inlet for your barreled action. I think it takes John about a day to duplicate just one stock. The result is worth it: the action screw holes are straight, square and properly located and the fit of the action to the stock is almost perfect. Conversely, the low dollar stock duplication jobs will require hours with a dremel tool and copious amounts of bedding compound.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever hear of les brooks.

Seems he was an instructor at trinidad. He is selling plans for his duplicator.

Just curious.

turfman

Posts: 133 | Location: Pa\Nj | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
turfman,
you have a pm
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote