New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions wanted regarding action for .585 Nyati
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just wanting to enquire which action would be better suited to .585 Nyatti out of the 602 brno or cz 550. What velocities are generally obtained with these actions with 750 Grain woodleighs. How are other peoples nyatti's performing.

Would the selous action be that much better that one would be better waiting and saving the money for one of these. What advantage would one get out of using the selous mauser action magnum over the 602 or 550. I am on a budget but am wishing to start a nyatti.

Opinions and ideas greatly appreciated. Regards PC

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

If you are on a budget I would forget the Selous action.

I would suggest you phone Ross Waghorn on 0397622438 as a starting point. In my opinion the best place in Australia to get calibers like 404 Jeffrey, 500 Jeffrey or 585 Nyati made is in Victoria.

There is an another Australian member on the site called Karl, and he has just been through the 585 Nyati process

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks heaps Mike I have been in touch with Karl and he has helped out heaps, just want to get as many opinions as possible, anyway more opinions you get more you learn hey.
quote:
Originally posted by Mike375:
PC,

If you are on a budget I would forget the Selous action.

I would suggest you phone Ross Waghorn on 0397622438 as a starting point. In my opinion the best place in Australia to get calibers like 404 Jeffrey, 500 Jeffrey or 585 Nyati made is in Victoria.

There is an another Australian member on the site called Karl, and he has just been through the 585 Nyati process

Mike

<R. A. Berry>
posted
PC,
The BRNO ZKK 602 and the CZ 550 Magnum are the same in any regards to appropriateness of size of the action. The magazine boxes are identical.

The unaltered BRNO will require more work to replace the backasswards safety, and unusual trigger, and thus be more expensive, but this will offer the option of a three-position safety rather than the usual two position of the CZ. But, you could do the same to the CZ.

I have seen the light and decided that a 50 caliber bolt action was big enough for me. Even Ross Seyfried, the inventor of the 585 Nyati says that it can be a "nightmare."

------------------
RAB

<Mitch>
posted
PC, Ditto what RAB said, My 577 T.rex is built on a BBK-02 action that is similar to the Brno 602 and the CZ 550 except the bolt is bit larger.

RAB, The way you can shoot my t.rex. I don't believe any rifle is too much for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mitch that action your t-rex is done on is it available here in Australia??. What diameter is the bolt?, I have been told it's better to have a bolt diamter of .750 for the t-rex and Nyatti. I would prefer a t-rex but apparently the Nyatti fit's better on the actions within my budget. Thanks in advance!!
quote:
Originally posted by Mitch:
PC, Ditto what RAB said, My 577 T.rex is built on a BBK-02 action that is similar to the Brno 602 and the CZ 550 except the bolt is bit larger.

RAB, The way you can shoot my t.rex. I don't believe any rifle is too much for you.

------------------

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Mitch,
Good to hear from you, my friend.
You know how it is, heads turn and jaws drop when you pull out the T.rex. Stirs up too much bore envy. You have an excellent piece in your T.rex.
You are right about the BBK-02 bolt being a little bigger in diameter, of course. I don't recall the exact dimensions for comparison.
My 460 Wby is on a BBK-02. If I were going to build an Nyati or T.rex, I would use the BBK-02. The CZ and BRNO are too small for a T.rex, but will squeek by for an Nyati, which has a smaller rim. Of course if one wanted to spend another $1500 to $2000 or who knows how much more more for the action alone, he could get a Dakota, Granite Mountain, or Johannsen.

------------------
RAB

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Ron, you mean to tell me...not all people like the 602's most excellently thought out and well-engineered safety manipulation? Hey, I keep my thumb on that and as I pull it to shoulder the thumb naturally slips it rearward into "go". Now that sir, is a well-designed safety.
Believe it or not I went through a ton of trouble to import a 602 from a gentleman in Canada just across the border from Seattle just so I could get that safety. It even came with that totally cool vertical set-trigger. I love it, go to the range and people ask me, "what the hell is that"? and point to my trigger. Oh yeah...I just love the attention.
Whoever thought a safety should be pushed forward to "go" should learn a lesson from this.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Sorry, Roger, but I guess I am just not as adaptable as you. All my other rifles since the Ruger Roundtop 30-06 have been push forward to fire. Under stress I might get confused with a bassackwards safety. : So my 510 JAB wears a PME/Wisner 3-position safety and a "normal" trigger that stays at 3-1/2 pounds no matter what.

------------------
RAB