THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Right handed rifles CONVERTED to shoot left handed

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Right handed rifles CONVERTED to shoot left handed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,

Not that there aren't still some interesting threads, but I don't remember seeing this come up in my time here. I once saw a pic (IIRC) of a springfield or mauser that had a cam setup so that it was operated left handed even though it was a right handed rifle.

What I would like is to see pictures of original right handed to left handed conversions and explanations or discussions of how it was done.

I KNOW, it isn't necessary now. I see guys always wanting to do something nostalgic, or just because, but I never see them doing this.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Google "Sedgley Conversion"

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I believe I read of Craig Boddington having an 03 with a left hand conversion. Maybe a PM will get you a few pics and information.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Dad has one that was done by a San Antonio gunsmith back in the 50's. I'd post a pic but he's in TX and I'm in GA.

The ejection port is still on the original side, but the bolt has been modified for a left handed handle. The bolt now rotates in the direction opposite to normal when the handle is lifted.

Of course it also wears a custom left handed stock.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a few pics of a sedgely converted one, can't believe the cheap price it went for (I think 650 on gunbroker). it looked like that too, bolt operated the opposite way but ejection port on same side and everything.

If you have any pics that would be great, or if you could get some later.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1941 model 70 converted from right to left handed operation. It came to me as a 30-06. I had it rebored to 35 Whelen. Here are a few pics.

As you can see it still ejects off the right side. I am not crazy about the screw for a bolt stop but have not yet figured out what to do about it. I have heard of a Ruger bolt stop being used. I will have to check that possibility out.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only left handed rifles are interesting

Finally another one of us with common sense Eeker tu2

Nice rifle ; I'm curious as not being a gunsmith which Rifles are candidates for conversions an typically what's it cost for conversions .

For $$$ ?, evaluation sake lets say staying in original Rifle's caliber ?.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
quote:
Only left handed rifles are interesting

Finally another one of us with common sense Eeker tu2

You know what rthe psychiatrists and neurologists say, Doc...."Only left handed people are in their right minds"....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
do they have to do anything to the locking lug raceways of the actions for them to rotate the opposite way? Or modify the lugs themselves maybe? very interesting.

Red

-Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
do they have to do anything to the locking lug raceways of the actions for them to rotate the opposite way? Or modify the lugs themselves maybe? very interesting.

Red

I have seen conversions done on Mausers, Remington 721's, Springfields and Winchesters. I never got a good look at the Mauser to see the modifications. On the Springfield the lug in the center of the bolt was removed so that the bolt would be able to rotate the opposite direction. In the cases I have seen, the bolt ends up rotating opposite of original, the right lug now mates with the upper receiver and the left with the lower. I don't think there has to be any modification to the raceways or the lugs.

As far as finding someone to do a conversion today , good luck. I checked with a smith recently who had done a few but he declined to do any more. I would love to get a few Springfields converted and build some custom rifles similar to what was available pre WWII. I am unaware of anyone who will do a conversion to left handed.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mart:

As far as finding someone to do a conversion today , good luck.

If I were looking to have this conversion done I would contact David Gentry. IIRC he did several of these conversions Col. Charles Askins, and Askins spoke highly of them/him. Askins was not an easy guy to please.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of left bolt right ejects--

My fav--A Roy Gradle spur drive--what a craftsman

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by mart:

As far as finding someone to do a conversion today , good luck.

If I were looking to have this conversion done I would contact David Gentry. IIRC he did several of these conversions Col. Charles Askins, and Askins spoke highly of them/him. Askins was not an easy guy to please.

I contacted David Gentry several years ago about a conversion. At the time he stated he was no longer doing them. More recently, a few months ago I contacted Gary Stiles who has also done some conversions. He also stated he was not doing them any more.

Duggaboye,

I would love to see some pictures of the Gradle spur drive. I am always fascinated by the ingenuity of some of the left hand conversions.

Mart

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Mart ,
the gun is at my brothers house I'll see if he can shoot some pics.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the spur drive what I saw once where it is left bolt but still rotates the bolt counterclockwise to pull it out of battery?

Red

-Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duggaboye,

That would be great. I know some very ingenious conversions have been made over the years. When I was young I used to watch for every article of Charles Askins. Not because I was enamored with him as a writer but to check out his left handed rifles.

I would have been one of Sedgley's best customers had I been born 50+ years earlier. They offered left handed conversions on the Springfields in several interesting classic calibers.

Mart

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is an interesting gear drive conversion on a Springfield done by Hoffman in the 20's. It is item #43. This is a pretty cool rifle.

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/83/auction83_2.html

Mart

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
That is a very neat rifle.
Looks as though the operation is achieved through a redesigned bolt shroud and a modified standard bolt with no modification to the action.
A bit bulky, but a very reasonable solution.

Posts: 3307 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:

Funny, my first thought was that is was surprisingly compact.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a small one, a Sako L461 that I barreled in 6x45:

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:

Funny, my first thought was that is was surprisingly compact.

For what it does, yes it is

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
OK,
Having gone back and taken a second, third and fourth look, I retract my "bulky" assertion...

In fact, if I were a southpaw this is the conversion I would be most interested in.
Especially on a Springfield.

Posts: 3307 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'd sat that would be just about the easiest left hand conversion to complete.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

quote:

Here's a small one, a Sako L461 that I barreled in 6x45:

The first rifle I ever purchased was a Sako 461 converted to left-hand. It had a custom straight-taper contour heavy barrel chambered in 222 Remington and an outstanding figured walnut custom stock.

On the barrel was engraved the name "C. Grossman".

Never knew if C. Grossman was (1) the gunsmith who converted the action, (2) the gunsmith who barreled it, or (3) the person who originally had the gun made for themselves.

Complete with Sako scope mounts, a Redfield scope, and a hard gun case paid $250 for it all.

Since then, in addition to factory made lefties, have had converted left-hand actions on '03 Springfield, 98 Mauser, and Model 70 Winchester actions.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That geared Hoffman looks very neat. Being a left handed shot I have a left handed heym, but having a left handed bolt but right facing loading port would make life even easier as easy to see straight into the action for loading / clearing etc when you are prone. Did they though sort out the gas holes so that in the event of case failure gas is directed away form the shooters eyes?

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote