New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timney trigger in my M38 swede
 Login/Join

<OTTO>
posted
I just installed a Timney trigger on my M38 swede. Now if I cock the action (cock on closing) then set the safety in either position and pull the trigger, when the safety is released the rifle fires. This didn't happen with the military trigger installed. I wanted to let my 12 year old hunt with it this year. However, With the rifle in this condition I can't let that happen. As a matter of fact, there are several adults I wouldn't let hunt with a rifle in that condition. What can I do to fix the trigger?

<JBelk>
posted
OTTO---

It means the cocking piece is not being cammed back for enough by the safety. There are several ways to fix it.

The best is to have the front of the searing surface of the cocking piece ground back. This MUST be done on a tool/cutter or precision surface grinder.
This allows the cocking piece safety cam surface to be further forward in relationship to the trigger sear, which means the safety has to cam the cocking piece further back.

You can calculate the amount that needs to be removed by measuring the amount the cocking piece moves when the trigger is pulled with the safety on. Add .015 to that figure. That's what has to be removed.

You could remove the same amount from the rear of the trigger sear, but most sears aren't big enough to do it. It HAS to be ground SQUARE.

<OTTO>
posted
JBELK,
Thanks for the info! It worked great!