New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum anodizing question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK, since nobody could provide me with a steel direct replacement for my pre-64 Win 70 FWT (1957) bottom metal and buttplate, does anyone know of a firm that will refinish the original aluminum furniture with a satin black anodizing? I know I can spray it with a bake on finish like Aluma-hyde but I am interested in something a little more durable.

Thanks in advance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to http://www.gleco.com. I have had a lot of stuff done by them. They are very reasonable. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells Aluma-hyde? It is air dry. No heat required.

I sprayed it on 2 rifles 7 years ago and it has yet to come off except around the holes on the muzzlebrake.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the buttplate but Williams Firearms has one piece, all steel bottom metal for the pre-64 M70. Matt sells them in the white, matte blue and polished and blued.

http://gunloads.com/clients/william/store/product_info....d27446a4ae765bd75e66

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Nimrod:

Should be no great problem finding an original Model 70 steel butt plate. I expect there are more than one offered on ebay right now.

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deming Ind. in Coeur d'Alene, ID, does a lot of real trick anodizing. They do camo arrows, multi colored items for a lot of folks. When I inquired about doing some Remington 700 bottom metal alum. parts, they said that the parts would come out looking like something found in a dirty diaper. I'd guess that the alloy has a lot of zinc or something that doesn't allow anodizing. That is why the factories go with powder coating. Just my guess.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Butch,
Thanks for the link. Any ballpark idea how much they will charge me for a trigger guard, buttplate and floorplate? I'm just looking for a matte-satin black finish. What kind of turnaround do they have?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I don't know about the buttplate but Williams Firearms has one piece, all steel bottom metal for the pre-64 M70. Matt sells them in the white, matte blue and polished and blued.

[URL=http://gunloads.com/clients/william/store/product_info.php?products_id=100&osCsid=128363bd3

99d27446a4ae765bd75e66]http://gunloads.com/clients/william/store/product_info....d27446a4ae765bd75e66[/URL]

I spoke with Matt Williams and his bottom metal requires some inletting to work with original pre-64 featherweight metal. On a real pre-64 the magazine box is flush with the bottom of the stock and there is no frame surrounding the magazine. It works like a charm on a modern M70 classic rifle though! I own a set of William metal on my M70 FWT in 300 WSM...

Thanks for the suggestion though!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Scott Houston and tell him I told you to call. Ask him to run it through with somebody elses stuff. I think that you can get a 5 gal. bucket full done for $60. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote