Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin X7 question??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
I know the Marlin X7 uses a Savage type barrel/nut arrangement but is it the same threads etc. as in will a Savage barrel fit? Also the bolt heads appear to be as the Savage so will they interchange? I found one locally in 204 Ruger at a deal and it might be a candidate for another 6.5 Grendel if the above mentioned items will interchange. Thanks in advance for educating me.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please read this all the way through, it isn't a one for one swap.

The X7 has the same threads as the small Savage, 1.055" barrel. So the wrench, nuts, and barrels will interchange. BUT...

The way that they breech is not the same. The chamber on the Savage is cut deeper, so the end of the barrel MUST be faced off to set the head space. Marlin uses slightly more case protrusion in their breeching.

The difference is about 0.010". I think that it is better to custom fit the barrel to the minimum clearance for safety sake. Or face it off 0.020" and hand finish the chamber after the barrel is fit.

All that said, I believe that McGowen makes drop in barrels for the Marlin. Others may as well.

I just did one for a friend. Funny how many friends you have when you have a lathe.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote