Find
Notify
Tools

Can I clean up a 6.5x55 with a 6.5/06?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I'm picking up a short chambered 6.5x55 barrel, can I clean it up with a 6.5/06 or do I need to go to a 6.5/.284?
What other options do I have (already have an outstanding 6.5x55 don't need two!)
6.5/06, 6.5/06 AI, 6.5 PDK, 6.5x68??

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Well, no. The shoulder will usually clean up if memory serves. But the base will not. Just off the top of my head, the 6.5x55 is .010 inch larger in diameter at the base. I have seen guys just run the reamer in until it headspaces and then blend the old and new chamber with W&D paper and kerosene. But it gives you about .005 inch per side expansion on each side over the last 1/2 inch of the case. It's not exactly unsafe, but it looks like hell and you will see a lot of separations at the web after you load them a few times. I think to clean it up you have to knock off most of the thread extension and cut and thread a new one. You could double check the sizes and work out the dimensions. I could be off by a bit.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick response all the way from our frosty friends to the north! Happy New Year!

When someone refers to a barrel being short chambered will that have any effect on the numbers in your post ?

Thanks Rod

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Since the case is tapered if it is short chambered the dia at the head would be closer to the 06. So it would reduce the difference. I "doubt" it would be enough to allow full clean up.
Set it back??

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'll measure it when I get the barrel, it may need to be a 6.5x.284....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let us know. I have been interested in this meself.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, let's stop guessing and do some mensuration.
I have one of those short chambered 6.5x55 barrels and the chamber OD at the rear is .478. SAAMI calls for .479 plus .002. Remember these barrels are short chambered, not rough chambered.
I measured some Federal 308 brass and it is .468. 30-06 brass was slightly smaller. I checked a 308 and a 30-06 barrel and they are about .471.
So, if you use it as is, you will get some slightly budged brass. It won't kill you. 005 all around; will look slightly fat after firing.
I cut off the threads and make them 6.5 Creedmoor.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Could it be set back a threas or two? This might allow for a chamber clean up?

I'd check but I'm boycotting my calculator for a couple months

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
To further what dpcd and I have said the taper per inch on both cases is the rough .010 inch taper per inch. So figuring you have to clean up .005 or .0025 inch per side you will have to set the chamber back at least 1/2 inch to clean it up. That will leave you with only 6 threads on 16 TPI which is not enough. You either have to live with the pot bellied case, knock off the whole thread extension and start over or choose another caliber. 6.5x55 is a nice cartridge?

coffee Dontchaknow !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I got one of those short chambered 6.5x55 barrels and had it shortened enough to allow for a 6.5x57 match reamer to chamber it for the new cartridge. The GS did the measureing so I am not sure of the exact length he removed but the finished barrel is just what I wanted so am more than a little pleased with it.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
To further what dpcd and I have said the taper per inch on both cases is the rough .010 inch taper per inch. So figuring you have to clean up .005 or .0025 inch per side you will have to set the chamber back at least 1/2 inch to clean it up. That will leave you with only 6 threads on 16 TPI which is not enough. You either have to live with the pot bellied case, knock off the whole thread extension and start over or choose another caliber. 6.5x55 is a nice cartridge?

coffee Dontchaknow !

Like I said......I'm boycotting my calculator

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No one commented on the 6.5/.284. Looking at the dimensions it appears the chamber would clean up w/o setting back. That would give you a significant performance increase over the Swede. What type of action do you have - i.e. is it safe for the higher pressure round?

quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I'm picking up a short chambered 6.5x55 barrel, can I clean it up with a 6.5/06 or do I need to go to a 6.5/.284?
What other options do I have (already have an outstanding 6.5x55 don't need two!)
6.5/06, 6.5/06 AI, 6.5 PDK, 6.5x68??

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bobster
I didn't get a response on the 6.5-284 so I looked up the dimensions and yes the .284 cleans it up nicely like you said.
I have a modern Large ring Mauser action so the 6.5x.284 will be in safe hands.
I'll be able to seat it out long.
I plan on running 120, 130 and 140 grain bullets in it, nothing heavier.
Thanks everyone for the help.
Like I said I already have a 6.5x55 so I don't need another.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
What about 6.5-06 AI? That would remove some of the taper and the cases are fire-formed anyway.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about 6.5-06 AI?

The case head of the AI still the same as the normal 06. The wed doesn't expand much if any.

Of course he could open the bolt head and go with magnums or the 26 Nosler. Wink

Sorry Dave I just skipped over the 284 as a given. Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome! Please post pics when the build is done. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Thanks Bobster
I didn't get a response on the 6.5-284 so I looked up the dimensions and yes the .284 cleans it up nicely like you said.
I have a modern Large ring Mauser action so the 6.5x.284 will be in safe hands.
I'll be able to seat it out long.
I plan on running 120, 130 and 140 grain bullets in it, nothing heavier.
Thanks everyone for the help.
Like I said I already have a 6.5x55 so I don't need another.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote