New
Find
Notify
Tools

Richards Micro Cascade classic
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking to restock my model 70 post 64, I was looking to pick up a richards cascade classic in the irish moss laminated. Has any one used theres or any pics of a finished stock, The rifle is just a hunter rifle.

Posts: 63 | Location: ND | Registered: 02 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Never used the cascade but have used Richards. Never again. Unless they have improved their quality.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok then what does everyone suggest for a stock that, I dont want to spend a pile of cash on it I just want to rid of the plastic

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have never used one of their laminates. I tried several walnut. Inletting off center or with large gaps. Very generous on how they graded their wood.

Maybe they are better now it has been 7-8 yrs ago. Or since it is a laminate if there is a gap the epoxy won't show as much.

If I just wanted a laminate I would stick a Boyds (around $92 finished) on it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Depending on what type post-64 you have you might check ebay or gunbroker for a take off stock. If your not wanting to spend too much money that might be your best bet.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=334359748
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winche...&hash=item5d3cc0e292

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ramrod---Richards provided me with an expensive piece of JUNK!

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that kinda stinks I was lookn for something in the green/silver laminate. I would get a reg wood stock but all my other rifles but my f class are plain wood, I was lookn for a diffrent look this one. Are the stocks they sell suitable for a hunter

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If you are talking Boyds. I'm happy with their Classic. They have several laminate colors. For $92 (finished) you can't go too wrong. Probably as cheap as a take off.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them a few times for both Laminated and Walnut. I have always had good results. Here is a link to my latest project that I used a Richards Microfit Stock on.

7mm-08 Project

I would use them again.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
check wenig for a stock... i may have mispelled it... but good wood, and great customer service..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok I will check them out , if I go with a richards does any one know if I get the 2 1/8 semi flat forrend. Is there enough material to mill it flat up to mag hole, and still look half decent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downrange:
I am looking to restock my model 70 post 64, I was looking to pick up a richards cascade classic in the irish moss laminated. Has any one used theres or any pics of a finished stock, The rifle is just a hunter rifle.

Richards is the worst rifle stock company I have ever dealt with. Their 95% finished is 80% in my opinion.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Richards Micro fit, never again, I notified them I thought I could train wood peckers to do a better job.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
check wenig for a stock

http://www.wenig.com/

Many of the staff came from either Bishop or Roberts. There is another group in mid MO that offers good products. I'll try to come up with the name

These guys did a couple semi's for me.
https://www.macongunstocks.com/Home_Page.html

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I think I may be done with mass marketed pre-inletted stocks altogether. I have both a Richards and a Boyds and they both suck. Took lots of bedding compound to fill in the gaps and frankly they're just too damn much work for the return.

Buy a stock from a regular, journeyman stock maker who's done it for years if you want something worthwhile. And, with all things, you get what you pay for.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
weing
dont think anyone there came from roberts
maybe fajen

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are probably correct. For some reason I was remembering Roberts became part of Bishop then Fajen bought Bishop the Midway bought Fajen. But knowing my memory Roberts probably didn't even exist. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Roberts did exist but they went out of business years ago. I have used many Richards stocks; they are not drop ins and require hand inletting. They are what they are and do require skill to fit. The machines used by them are not modern CNC machines; they are duplicators that make several (I don't know how many) at once.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Roberts did exist but they went out of business years ago

Thanks. I swore my first stock was a Roberts about 42 years ago. Next were Bishops. Or at least I think. hilbily

I have my own duplicator. I have no issue with a semi that requires wood to be removed for proper fit. I have issues when the channel is off or there is already a gap around the action to begin with. Like I said earlier maybe Richards has improved.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yes. Also good service and price for mid range stuff I got off them years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by highcountry2:
weing
maybe fajen

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used Royal Arms Gunstocks

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
With the vast majority of the large volume semi-inlet sellers you're going to get mostly bad reviews. Many complain about how much wood they are left to remove when the real culprit is they often take too much wood in critical places. If your really trying to get a best quality fit they aren't for you. If you think a properly bedded stock means you correct all the mistakes with epoxy and don't mind gaps like a free floated barrel, you may be perfectly happy. To me they served a purpose as practice. It didn't take long to hate them because I'd spend a lot of time and still end up with gaps because they removed too much wood.....probably because so many people bitch about how much work they must do once they get it. I had much better luck with more professional duplicators like Mike Kokolus, God bless his soul. In the end I much prefer working from a blank, I have 100% control over the outcome.

To answer the initial post, you'd likely be satisfied with Richards other than a very possible long wait, if you don't mind doing some work.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, I have not had one from Richards with any inletting mistakes and I used my first one in 1974. They are not drop ins by any means and I have heard complaints from people who did not expect to have to actually use chisels and inletting black. Seeing the relatively rough machine inletting caused them to reject them. They were expecting cnc milled cuts, which it ain't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've also used semi-inletted laminate stocks from Richards, and while it took some time with hand tools, they are very nice looking stocks when finished. There were no gaps in any of them, and if you don't try to hurry the fitting and finishing processes, you'll have a very nice fitting stable stock. My next stock will also come from Richards.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I've had two Richard's stocks... the first had very nice smooth shaping on the exterior but part of the inletting was 1/8" off. The second had perfect inletting but very very rough exterior shaping. I can handle rough shaping (especially if it means more material for me to carve to my wishes) but the bad inletting is a big turn off.

IF they get the inletting right, I think they're a good value.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Maybe they are slipping; I have used probably 30 of them and never had a problem with either inletting being too big, or exterior being too rough, although anything resembling a beaver tooth cut is fine since I am going to shape it anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have one standard, the first and last two stocks I received from them qualified as clubs, then there is time. Drop-in with minimum work takes less time to finish than when working with clubs.

Again, I said I thought I could train wood peckers to do a better job, back to one standard, I assumed they had absolute no pride in their work and could not do better, there was absolutely nothing about the two stocks I received that resembled inletting.

dcup, if that is acceptable to you, you have two standards, back to the beginning, I have one standard.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The stocks I have used obviously did not resemble the ones you got. I would not use one that inletting defects; no point in that. I do prefer a tight, hand inletted stock to a "drop in" fit, which invariably, will be a sloppy fit. So I do understand your standards and priorities. There will be a time difference in fitting them.

One of Us
Picture of w123driver
posted Hide Post
I purchased 7 stocks from Richard's, all from their "bargain's bin". Unbeatable prices for the figure and overall quality of wood. But I probabbly would not pay full price thay are asking. The problem with Richard's is that that blanks need more work that what the word "microfit" would lead most people to think. I had a problem with a Mauser blank, beautiful wood was ruined by unacceptably large gap in trigger guard opening. This was the only stock I returned. The other thing to keep in mind, if you buy a stock with recoil pad already installed, chances are LOP will be too long, (I need 13 1/2" LOP) and it was too long for me, so I had to have the the butt shortened and the pad reinstalled). I have Savage 10 in gorgeous AA fancy claro that costed me $79 before shipping 2 years ago. I just ordered exhibition grade maple blank for my Savage PTA, will post pictures when it arrive.