Find
Notify
Tools

Is it possible on an 03 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Another 03 question ...

I have an 03 action I am planning to have some work done to.

First: I would like to keep the distinctive cocking knob yet change the military safety out for a low mount side swing style safety. 3-possition is preferred but a 2 possition will suffice.

Second: I would like to change out the milled bottom metal for custom bottom metal. A hinged floor plate is preferred.

And yes ... given enough money and time ALL things are possible. Although the last time I looked Fort Knox still had too many guards [Wink]

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Both safeties are available for Springfields. 2-position (1st pic) around the $100 mark, possibly less. 3-position (2nd pic) about double that, possibly more.

These two examples have speedlocks, and the original "knob" is gone from both. I wouldn't do this anymore myself, preferring the original look. And there's questionable benefit to the speed lock on these hunting rifles.

I also think the original triggerguard is a very handsome piece. I prefer to have a smith profile the triggerguard, hinge the floorplate, and add a lever......rather than buying aftermarket bottom metal. I think it's likely less expensive also.

GV

-
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The release on the floorplate as pictured is a nice feature, but it has a tendency to snag on a thing or two and dump the contents on the ground. I prefer to modify with welding and such to make it like the model 70 with a button release. The job runs about $125. The same for the two or three position safety; one takes more work than the other.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. The pictures really helped. Modification of the existing bottom metal may still be an option. However, I think I would prefer something more on the lines of a button rather than the lever.

Only other issue is what style bases. I want steel not aluminum. I do not like the looks of Weaver or Redfield Styles or those with large levers. I want a clean slim profile for the bases.

All this will be explained to the smith of course but it is nice to know what options are available. [Big Grin]

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote