New
Find
Notify
Tools

trigger swap?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
this .30-338 with the original commercial 98 FN trigger is an absolute beast. I have some difficulties acquiring excellent results with these 180 TSX although they are in fair groups I know they can be pulled in tighter. These triggers should be able to be "honed" to clean up or are they a replacement for a Timney?

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
That trigger can be made to break cleanly and relatively light. I think by the time you have someone do it, it would be cost effective to replace it with a Timney.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Timney on a 98FN a few months ago. It's sweet. Too bad the gun still doesn't shoot. Smiler

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kingfisher, that is too bad. Mine tends to lead to some accurate shot thus far. May need to work on my freefloating segment of homeremedy - can't be be a big deal. Done some futher search and there is a product called Huber Concepts. Seems just the trigger is replaced and is fully adjustable-know anything of em?

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Luckily enough, it's not my gun! Smiler It belongs to my brother-in-law. His dad had it built for him when he was a kid. I'm going to try to get another stock for it and see if that makes a difference. The one that is one there now was hogged out by someone really bad. Maybe with another stock, it'll start shooting. If not, then 2" groups (at best) will just have to do. Smiler As for that trigger you mentioned, I don't know anything about them but I'm sure it's a similar mechanism to the Timney. If the price is way better and they have a decent return policy it's probably worth a shot. Heck, it only takes 10 minutes to install it. The only problem I had with mine is that the safety is difficult to engage because the cocking piece needs to be built up. Haven't gotten around to that yet, but it should be an easy fix (and there are a couple of ways around it).

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I recently received a Blackburn Mauser trigger. It really scores well in a comparison to the Timney nit. Something about steel machined and finished until it becomes a thing of beauty.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand the appreciation of quality work and crafstmanship. I will look into that an thanks Jim.