New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this normal?? M70 Question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The rifle in question is a M70 in 7mmRemMag with around 1,500 rounds fired from it.

Today while cleaning it, I took the firing pin assembly out of the bolt and noticed that the spring has a wear mark or polished-looking spiral the whole length of the spring...it looks as though someone polished a loose spiral on it from end to end.

This is the first time I noticed it, since I usually dont take the bolt apart, so it might have been there forever.

Just playing with the rifle after reassembly, I benched the rifle and found that when dry firing it, the bolt "jumps up" a bit from the closed position when you dry fire.

Obviously my firing pin spring is hitting the bolt body when firing which is causing the wear mark.

Is this stuff normal??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Yeah the springs do drag which causes that wear and the handles do jump on firing with a lot of bolt actions. It`s generally caused by the spring unloading and the vibration and stresses caused by this. The bolt cannot jump open because of the cocking piece and its engagement in the cocking cam.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes it is normal for the FP spring to rub on the inner bolt cavity. And the bolt jumps because the cocking piece/sear is hitting the bolt cocking cam notch a bit..
Don't fret.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You are in big trouble. shocker I'll pay for you to ship it to me so you can remain safe. Wink

As smarter men than I am have said. Nothing to worry about.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a number of the newer Model 70 Classics that have this "jump" that you talk about.

If you cock the gun and lift the bolt handle just a tiny tiny bit and then pull the trigger you might notice no jump. At least that is what happens on many of mine.

I don't know anything about sears and such, but on a couple of the first ones I had many years ago it bothered me so I had a welding guy weld a little tiny bubble on the notch where the bolt went and then since the bolt couldn't go down in the notch as far there was no more jump.

I suppose you could have a small plate (or whatever you want to call it) of steel welded on the bottom of that bolt notch, filed up, and reblued, and you would never know the jump had been there.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is not just with Model 70s and they don't need fixing.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You for the comments Fellas!!

I had a feeling that this was normal but wanted to run it by you.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes it is normal for the FP spring to rub on the inner bolt cavity. And the bolt jumps because the cocking piece/sear is hitting the bolt cocking cam notch a bit..
Don't fret.

X2
A bunch of my rifles do the same, nothing to worry about or fix.
BB

Posts: 400 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote