New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock for FN M98 458 WM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guy Im not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I need a new stock for my backup gat. Does anyone here know what the best is to get for the FN?

Thanks in advance

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 315 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you want custom wood or synthetic? If syn, McMillan would be my choice.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It also depends on how much $ you want to spend.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Synthetic would be quickest, easiest, and cheapest.

McMillian would be the best; Bell & Carlson would be fine as well.

I'd avoid something like a simple Boyd wood stock since you have a 458 WM.

If you want would and not a full custom, try an accurate innovations stock.

Accurate Innovations

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya',,, depends on how much you want to spend. Don't know who makes the best kindlin', Boyds or Richards, and wasn't even impressed with the examples from Accurate Inovations.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips guys.

I like wood best but I think for what i use it for synthetic will be the way.

Is it posible to get a synthetic where i can fit action and barrel direct or will I need a gunsmith to do the fitting??

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 315 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And by the way I was thinking in the $500 range for synthetic? Is that realistic?

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
munyamadzi@live.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, $500 is realistic for a synthetic stock. B&C's go for about $250-$300, McMillan will be $550-$600.

On the Bell and Carlson, you want the Medalist, not the Carbelite. The Medalist is aluminum block bedded, the Carbelite is not. McMillan are all aluminum block bedded.

One other one to look at is the Hogue overmolded with full bedding block. They are about $250 and are tough stocks.

These price quotes are without shipping.

You can fit it yourself. If the barrel fits the channel, bolt in and go. Otherwise, some sandpaper, a couple of hours, and 2-3 beers will get the barrel to fit. You might have to make room for a side safety, but again, that isn't difficult to do.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
None of the McMillan stocks I have owned or fitted had aluminum blocks; just solid fiberglass and epoxy, but I have not had one for a few years.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:

You can fit it yourself. If the barrel fits the channel, bolt in and go. Otherwise, some sandpaper, a couple of hours, and 2-3 beers will get the barrel to fit.

Jeremy

Man, Jeremy,

You're a lot faster at it than I am. I draw filed and sanded a couple of octagon barrels last week for bluing, it took me at least 4 hours a piece and I doubt I took off more than .002" in diameter at the most. If I had to take off enough to make them fit a stock, I bet it'd take a month and a full truck load of beer!

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:
quote:

You can fit it yourself. If the barrel fits the channel, bolt in and go. Otherwise, some sandpaper, a couple of hours, and 2-3 beers will get the barrel to fit.

Jeremy

Man, Jeremy,

You're a lot faster at it than I am. I draw filed and sanded a couple of octagon barrels last week for bluing, it took me at least 4 hours a piece and I doubt I took off more than .002" in diameter at the most. If I had to take off enough to make them fit a stock, I bet it'd take a month and a full truck load of beer!

dave
Hopefully he was referring to opening the barrel channel in the stock rather than sanding down the barrel diameter...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will see if I can get the mcmillan stock even though it is pricer than others. But must be better then Big Grin

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
munyamadzi@live.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thor,

If any of the synthetics do not have the aluminum bedding blocks you will need a gunsmith to bed it. If you just screw the stock to the action without proper bedding you will undoubtedly split the stock quite quickly. My 4-5-8 split a McMillan stock and it was bedded by a gunsmith.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13011 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have a McMillan on an Interarms 375. It was one of the ones they listed as in stock so I was able to get it quickly. When it turned up they had not cut the slot for the bolt handle and the inletting for the floor plate was a bit long. I had a gunsmith put it all right. I ended up getting a Whitworth take off to put on in its place but the inletting or prior bedding is just enough off that it won't drop in. One of many projects hanging around.

Here is the McMillan:

Sarco also has some Interarms pattern stocks but I have no idea of the fit or quality:

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/sportingstocks.aspx

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:
quote:

Jeremy

Man, Jeremy,

dave

Yes, I was referring to opening the barrel channel in the stock, not thinning the barrel with sandpaper. That would be nuts, and I would give up well before I ran out of beer.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeremy,

I was just messing with you. It was obvious what you meant.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figured as much, but it is so hard to see people snickering through the computer screen. Now worries.

DPCD, I think you are right. I was thinking HS Precision. I checked my McMillan and it is just pillar bedded, no aluminum block. It is only 2 years old.

Jeremy