Find
Notify
Tools

Rock River AR rear aperture
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted
While chronying some loads today I noticed that the rear sight aperture looks like it's not aligned with the front sight. If you took a rod and slid it in to the aperture it would point upwards over the top of the front post by several inches. If I rock it forward a bit the hole looks a lot clearer and rounder but it flips back down too far under it's own power. Any ideas?

Taurus Bill

Taurus Bill

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I am assuming you have either an A1 or A2 style sight and as you flip it from one aperture, small to large, it appears to not line up with the front sight post, correct?? Out of curosity, how much of the front sight post would you say is protruding over the base. 1/8", 1/4", etc.?? There is a leaf style spring under the flip type aperture you describe on your rear sight and perhaps it is faulty, but if you answer the above questions, perhaps I or others could give you some directions, OK??

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
The gun is a RR national match A2. There's a small tubular hood in the small hole that precluded the use of the larger short range aperture. The front site post is 1/4" tall, however I fail to see what that matters.
Here's a crude drawing of what I'm seeing.

Taurus Bill

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Hopefully this is still under warranty?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
My asking about the front sight post, how high it might be simply to see if it was greatly extended, but based on your drawing/example the height of the post would not be a concern. It sounds to me that your rear sight simply is not pressed down or can not be pressed down to a level/on line position and would require removing the lateral/windage drum and inspecting that leaf spring situation in a socket. Have seen them bent from previous tampering and this may well be your situation.
Removal of that portion of the sight is not difficult other than be sure and capture the spring and detent ball on the windage drum. Drift out the roll pin, remove drum, unscrew from left side, sight aperture will travel as you unscrew and then you can see the leaf spring. Before I would do that, would suggest you exert more pressure than you have in the past and see if the sight will not seat flush as it should be. If not, remove as mentioned above. Spring is replaceable from various sources, but may well attempt to sell you complete sight pkg????? Good luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote