New
Find
Notify
Tools

1903 Springfield custom information needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a book on the G&H or other custom shops that lists or has photos of the 1903 Springfield conversions? I have Brophys book on the Springfield. I was looking for something like the book on the Oberndorf Mausers. I need pictures and some discriptions of the work done.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century By Michael Petrov Has quite a few pictures of 1903's and Michael posts hee as well. It is a great book and I believe it will suit your purposes.
Michael J

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I am on the same quest. Do an internet search using Griffin Howe Springfield and you will come up with quite a few photos. Also, try and find a copy of "Gunsmithing" by Howe. There are quite a few pictures there, as well.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take an $800 springfield.
Add $800 in custom gunsmithing.
Voila, you have a $150 rifle.

What does it all mean?
Best to start with one already customized, available at gunshows and pawn shops.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
Is there a book on the G&H or other custom shops that lists or has photos of the 1903 Springfield conversions? I have Brophys book on the Springfied. I was looking for something like the book on the Oberndorf Mausers. I need pictures and some discriptions of the work done.

If interested you can get a signed copy of my book by priority mail for $30, $29.95 unsigned. A personal check is fine.
Michael Petrov
923 West 74th Ave.
Anchorage, AK 99518

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael
Sounds like what I am looking for.
Thanks

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
tnekkcc:

The same can be said for any surplus action. It all depends on who does the work. Based on your comment, we might as well all buy $300 Savages, because obviously, the work of custom gunsmiths is all worthless. killpc

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customize all you want then when you go to sell them I'll buy them at a real good price.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Petrov:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rolland:
Is there a book on the G&H or other custom shops that lists or has photos of the 1903 Springfield conversions? I have Brophys book on the Springfied. I was looking for something like the book on the Oberndorf Mausers. I need pictures and some discriptions of the work done.

Rolland & Michael -

Thanks for posting this topic, and the answer regarding the book. (Michel, I also have just yesterday posted an order and cheque to you for the book.)

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Mr. Petrov's book and highly recommend it for fans of custom Springfields.

Posts: 85 | Location: Calgary Alberta Kanada | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
I have Mr. Petrov's book and have read several of the origional articles in P.S. , his book is excellent and as a tribute, many of the pages are smudged with inletting black due to it often being referenced during work.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to doublegunshop.com, check out the forum on single barrel rifles. Many of the threads have good photos of custom 1903s. Also review "used rifles" at griffinhowe.com.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote