THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Swede '96 Cock on Open conversion. Who makes a good one?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swede '96 Cock on Open conversion. Who makes a good one?
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
Guys:

Can anyone tell me where I can find a good "cock-on-opening" kit to convert a Swede 96?

Thanks,

Jordan

<vibrasonic9>
posted
I had a Dayton-Traister put on mine; seems to work real well.

------------------
Rod's Place

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Dayton traister on mine and it works flawlessly. To install one you can't be too squemish as it entails cutting a ramp or helix in the top of the bolt body right where the striker is. I believe there is a small cut there in the military rifle already, but it has to be increased in depth. Be carecul and you can do it with a dremel. be sure to polish the ramp.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have their catalog in front of me, but I am sure Brownell's sells a kit. They are on the net.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Hey
A friend of mine used the one from brownell's and it worked great for him, suggest that you try it.

GOOD LUCK

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan, if you haven't ordered one yet, drop me an email (scb3@bigfoot.com) with your address and I'll put one in the mail to you. I have a leftover kit (cocking piece and spring) and I don't anticipate doing any more Swedes.

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Jeff S>
posted
I know the cock on closing system is foreign to many american tastes and sensibilities but it does have several advantages. Its safer...the gun isn't cocked until the bolt is closed! Operating the bolt almost guarantees reliable feeding as people tend to work the cock on closing system with more authority. Finally, the gun stays uncocked while the action is open meaning there is no tension on the springs.
But I believe the authoritative operation of the bolt is the most significant advantage. Its also what makes the SMLE such a great battle rifle.