New
Find
Notify
Tools

1891 to enclosed bolt face
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just sort of got a weird idea in my head today.
You know how Remingtons have their 3 rings of steel which completely enclose the cartridge head in the bolt then into the receiver right?

Would there be a way to do this to an 1891 Mauser, after all the barrel bottoms out on the shoulder instead of the inner ring of the 98.

I wonder if clearance for the extractor would be a problem.

Just a thought, I mean hypothetically it might make way for the use of slightly higer pressure cartridges in the gun.

My 500th post. Hooray!

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
You will find that the barrel is not the limiting factor for pressure in an 1891 Mauser. The metal and heat treating of the action is not suitable for higher pressures. Also the root of the bolt handle does not act as a secondary lug for dubious extra safety as on a M98. I have two 1891's and I barreled one for 35 Remington and the other for 45ACP. Neither of these are high pressure. I would hate to see your Avatar show a picture of you with an 1891 bolt embedded in your face.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ackley converted an action to the "safety breech" as it was called in those days. It was no stronger. Dont listen to people that talk about getting a bolt in your face. It only happens with Weatherbys, not mausers. With a pre 98 Mauser action you will get hot brass in your face. Your gun is over 100 years old, respect it.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hah hah.
I was not alking mikaing it into an 06 or anything, but maybe a 257 Roberts.
Then again I might just keep it in 7.65X53 mainly because I have about 10000000000 rounds of surplus for it.

I have I want to say 5 or 6 of these guns, either barreled actions or sporterized.

But what do we think, is this feasible?

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is feasible. A student in a summer class I took at Trinidad JC 2 yrs. ago did it and rebarreled to 243. Red Face Not my idea of bright Roll Eyesbut it shows that anything can be done. Sorry, I don't know the details. He was a machinist and was there to learn the "gunsmithing" quirks.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
1st: the 7.65x53 ammo you are using is loaded to approximately 57k psi. You can use Norma ammo and be happy with a 180 grain bullet flying along near '06 velocity.

2nd: Remington is in no way safer than an m98. The whole idea behind the "rings of steel" was a marketing by-product of a desire to manufacture a cheap action out of round stock.

3rd: calling the second lug "dubious extra safety" is incorrect, it exists for exactly that purpose.

Today there exists many who still continue to feel the Mauser is not a "modern" action and therefore not as well designed as others. The myths promogulated by post-War gunhacks apparently have a life of their own.

Not to high-jack your thread, but keep the m91 as it is, you will be well served.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thaine-
Cool to hear that it can be done.
Took a look at the bolt today and it would involve turning a little bit off of the recoil lugs.
243 seems a little bit extreme to me too.

Nitroman-
I have a hard time believing that surplus ammo is loaded to 57k psi.
I could use Norma ammo, but I seriously have over two cases of Argentine army surplus sitting in the shop.

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hawkins,

Your comments about the third lug are correct. It was an offhand remark from me because I have seen so many M98 bolts with poorly welded or bent handles that often reduced the safety factor inherent in the bolt handle engaging the receiver recess. I just can't see the need to push the pressure limits of older Mausers when there are so many newer Mausers and others around that can safely handle reasonable pressure. I like the 1891 as a fine old rifle and see no need to push its capabilities. It is also kind of amusing to look at "new" rifle designs when I would be happy with the original M98 design done with today's metals. The only thing
I would change is the safety to accomodate scope use.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have I want to say 5 or 6 of these guns, either barreled actions or sporterized.

Honestly, I think this is a neat idea you have. However, as the owner of nine Mausers and collector of other bolt action rifles of that vintage, I came to the realization last year that it is a shame to have a whole safe full of Mausers and not have any in original form - just so I could look at it and see where my hunting rifle came from. Since you already have a few 1891's that have been tinkered with, why not leave this one alone -or- try and return it to military condition?

I'd have a 1891 right now if I weren't out of money for new aquisitions and the ballistics of the 7.65x53 ain't too shabby. Why not leave this particular rifle alone and enjoy those two cases of surplus Argie ammo?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, ok you guys talked me out of it.
The shame I find with these Argentines, is that back in the 60's you could get these things brand new unfired for like $20.
Today, however, you will be lucky to find one that is cut up with a barrel like a sewer pipe for less than $150 ish.

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Well, you'ew close, anyway. Actually, I bought both new '91 Argentine rifles & new '91 Argentine carbines in 1963. '64. and '65 for $10 through private seller ads in the Shotgun News. Of course it cost me another $2.50 each in those days to have the danged post office deliver them to my door in rural western Oregon.....(What a rip-off, huh? [G])

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote