THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Which double shotgun would be a good choice for this project?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which double shotgun would be a good choice for this project?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a continuation of another thread.
Lets assume I am going to buy a 12 guage double and attempt to regulate the barrels good enough for slugs.
I need something cheap enough to experiment on, and strong enough for a diet of slugs.
I would think after I got the barrels off I would have them heat treated to minimize POI shifts with temp changes, maybe cryo them for the same reason.
The rest would just be lots and lots of labor.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a 20" barrel Hungarian FEG. If you can find one. They were made for a British police contract years ago but still get seen at the odd auction in the UK. They were specified as putting BOTH barrels with slug into a four inch circle at fifty yards and were equipped with sights.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken Owen has done plenty of these on Huglus (now CZ). Just spread the muzzles a bit and add iron sights. Forget the heat/cryo treating, you will have to heat them up to 500F or so to melt the solder when you regulate the bbls.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Searching, searching, not finding. I wonder if these guns are all not in the U.S.

quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
Buy a 20" barrel Hungarian FEG. If you can find one. They were made for a British police contract years ago but still get seen at the odd auction in the UK. They were specified as putting BOTH barrels with slug into a four inch circle at fifty yards and were equipped with sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That info gives me a few options and a few things to think about.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Ken Owen has done plenty of these on Huglus (now CZ). Just spread the muzzles a bit and add iron sights. Forget the heat/cryo treating, you will have to heat them up to 500F or so to melt the solder when you regulate the bbls.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I would think that one of the old Valmets with the separated bbls would work well.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking Stoeger is the only choice. 3in, double triggers,and I can pick one up for less than $400.00 new, $300.00 or less used.

Unbelievably, I have a 20 gauge right here I inherited. But I don't want a 20 gauge.