New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ref my Misfiring 686
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have finally received an e-mail from S&W in relation to my NEW misfiring 686 .357. They said that they could do nothing for me and I have to go back to my dealer, that they cannot take it back. I thought I would get some feed back as to how to rectify the problem or some sort of advice as to what the problem might be. But nothing only a short note. My last time buying S&W. I will return it to my dealer for a Ruger and not buy S&W products again.Thanks guys for your advice earlier
Regards
Deer Hunter Ireland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would they not fix it for you?????Does it have something to do with International Shipping of The Piece???It is hard to believe that S&W has that kind of attitude.I would write a Presidential complaint and send it Registered Mail to S&W for being treated shabbily!!!! Frowner

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
How about posting the email so we can see exactly what was said. I can't believe S&W would not stand by their product no matter where it was sold. There may be some regulation that is foreign to us in the States about having to return it through the dealer. You think Ruger will treat you any better? Before you shit can it for a Ruger, talk to the dealer.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that US firearm manufacturers often have different behaviours toward US customers and "elsewhere" customers, so, they often always dispose of those distant annoyers saying them to turn to national dealers/importers 2020

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before we all pile on why don't we ask:
1. What was the original request?
2. Do we not think that given the problems that exist shipping firearms internationally, that perhaps S&W would not have the same problems?
It makes perfect sense to me that the gun be shipped back to the dealer who sold it. HE may be able to ship it back (via the distributor) to S&W or, good heavens, be an authorized repair shop.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Apparently, there are no authorized S&W warranty repair shops in Ireland, or even in the UK for that matter.

It may be, as others have suggested, that the dealer will have to ship it overseas in order to get the work done.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two months ago I purchased a Model 686 in .357 with a six inch barrell. (New)
Serial No. DAY6093.
My problem is I keep having misfires with .38 and .357. Out of every cylnder full one or two will not fire.
At first I thought it was the ammunition, but having fired nearly every brand I am having the same problem.
I have noticed that the firing pin is barely making a dent on the rounds even the rounds that do fire there is barely a noticable dent.
My friend bought a Ruger the same time in .357 and and it really dents the casing.
It is getting very frustrating.
As I live in the Rep.of Ireland and handguns are relatively new here I do not know what to do. It would seem a bit extreme (let alone the cost) to sent the Revolver bact to America.
In the manual that came with the gun there is no touble shooting article. Can the spring or the firing pin be adjusted, it appears the firing pin is not striking the rounds properly or the firing pin does not protrude enough.
Hoping to hear from you asap.
Regards
Liam Slattery

Above is the e-mail I sent to S&W. There response was that they could not accept the weapon back, and to contact the importers in Ireland which I did who informed me they are only importers and could not do anything for me. The instruction manual that came with the .357 is for the old .357 with the fixed firing pin, no info at all on the floating firing pin. The gun shop said bring it back and they will see what they can do. I thought at least S&W would give me some advice on some trouble shooting problems that might be wrong.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Liam Slattery:
Two months ago I purchased a Model 686 in .357 with a six inch barrell. (New)
Serial No. DAY6093.
My problem is I keep having misfires with .38 and .357. Out of every cylnder full one or two will not fire.
At first I thought it was the ammunition, but having fired nearly every brand I am having the same problem.
I have noticed that the firing pin is barely making a dent on the rounds even the rounds that do fire there is barely a noticable dent.
My friend bought a Ruger the same time in .357 and and it really dents the casing.
It is getting very frustrating.
As I live in the Rep.of Ireland and handguns are relatively new here I do not know what to do. It would seem a bit extreme (let alone the cost) to sent the Revolver bact to America.
In the manual that came with the gun there is no touble shooting article. Can the spring or the firing pin be adjusted, it appears the firing pin is not striking the rounds properly or the firing pin does not protrude enough.
Hoping to hear from you asap.
Regards
Liam Slattery

Above is the e-mail I sent to S&W. There response was that they could not accept the weapon back, and to contact the importers in Ireland which I did who informed me they are only importers and could not do anything for me. The instruction manual that came with the .357 is for the old .357 with the fixed firing pin, no info at all on the floating firing pin. The gun shop said bring it back and they will see what they can do. I thought at least S&W would give me some advice on some trouble shooting problems that might be wrong.

Due to liability reasons, Smith & Wessons response for trouble shooting your gun would go something like this.

1. Make sure there are no barrel obstructions.
2. Wear proper hearing and eye protection.
3. Make sure you are using the proper ammunition for this firearm.
4. If the problem persists, return the gun to your dealer.

Manufacturers rarely provide any technical help. That's what warranty service centers and their dealers are for. They do not want regular individuals attempting to making repairs on their products for obvious reasons. Ruger would be no different.

I don't live in Ireland so I don't what you can get in the way of gun parts. That being the case, if it were me, I would remove the grips, back off the strain screw, place a spent primer over the tip of the screw and against the spring to provide a little more length, Then I would retighten the screw completely, install the grips and head to the range to see if it did any good. If it did then post it here and I will see if I can't suggest something for you to do to make the fix more permanent.

And be sure to wear good hearing and eye protection, and that there are no barrel obstructions, and that you are using the right ammo, and that you... Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the revolver misfire when double action or does it also do it when fired single action?

Ok, working the problem....

I'm almost willing to bet that there is a chip of foreign material (I.E. something that doesn't belong) between the floating firing pin and th "recoil shield" part of the frame.

a disassembly and thorough cleaning MIGHT clear up the problem...

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
liam, I have one of those pistols. I will scan the manual tomorrow and send it toyou by email. send me your email address.

I am very sorry you are having trouble with your S&W. in contrast, they treated me better than most others have.

if I can help you diagnose your problem let me know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the reponse.
Yes it does happen with both single and double action. I have taken off grips and cleaned what I could get access to. I will try this week and place something in front of strain screw and see if I can get a bit more pressure on the hammer. We cannot buy parts here in ireland, but if you could reccomend a better spring or pin I would order it from USA myself if all else fails. I hope to get to range this week, I am in the Military Police and we have your good president arriving here at the weekend to Shannon airport to visit your troops here so I may be busy but first chance this week I will be out. My e-mail is liamslatterymp@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks again guys
Regards
Deerhunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Liam, I couldn't find my manual, but I did find this for you: http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/ot..._Manual_09-12-07.pdf

that is for the new style revolvers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When the grips are off, tighten the screw on the bottom of the front grip. Tighten it all the way in and then try shooting it. It will make the trigger heavier, but just try it for mow. What you need is

I have seen a lot of guys do "a trigger job" on an S&W just be messing with the mainspring. It needs to have enough force to reliably set off any primer it may encounter. Soemone at the store where you bought it may have monkied with the screw thinking it made the revolver easier to shoot.

I am not a revolversmith by any stretch of the imagination, but I have done a fair number of real trigger jobs on Smiths. I always leave the mainspring alone and work on the internals. For my applications, reliability is what matters. A smoot and consistent pull is required for accurate shooting. Th estarin screw stays craanked all the way in. Within reason, mainspring tension os irrelevent.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys thanks for all the help, I just received another e-mail from S&W (they must be reading this forum). They have told me to try a small shim in front of the strain screw to see if it makes a different to the hammer striking the pin, if it oes not work they will send me on a longer firing pin. Ill keep you posted
Regards
liam Slattery

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Good news. Have you disassembled the revolver yet and checked for the obvious glitches previously mentioned here and on your other thread? That would seem to be job one.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you move the cylinder back and foward, if it does, this results in less firing pin force, it is known as endshake and is easy to fix with shims.

Posts: 45 | Location: Sydney,Australia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya all obvious glitches were checked. The cylinder is good and tight. None of the manuals or S&W site show 686 with floating pin only fixed
Regards
Liam