New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone heard of Bob Emmons??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I came across a M70 Pre-64 Super Grade in 7x57 that was stamped on top of the barrel with "Bob Emmons No. 207". I have been unable to find anything on the internet with my initial search.

I understand he is/was a gunsmith, but would like more information if anyone can supply it.

The rifle is beautifully stocked, and wears a Swarovski 2.2-9x scope.

Posts: 100 | Location: Lubbock, TX | Registered: 15 April 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I've handled a number of Emmons-stocked custom rifles, including Ruger No. 1s, Mausers, and Model 70s. Emmons was one of the all-time great stockmakers of the American Classic school, and his style was clean, crisp, precise, and very shootable. When you look at an Emmons stock, there is absolutely no doubt that Bob knew exactly where he has taking the direction of the stock. Every line and angle worked with every other line and angle, and every feature had purpose. Form and function were personified, and Emmons wasn't lost in the mists of the 1930s, either -- be stocked rifles to work with today's scopes and today's riflemen. He finished them to hunt with as well, and he intended them to be hunted with. Much of his stuff was very innovative, and some of his grip cap treaments, etc. have never been duplicated by any other stockmaker. If you can find an Emmons rifle that pleases you on the secondary market at a fair price, you would be wise to purchase it, as there will be no more of them.

Before he was a stockmaker, Bob Emmons was a full-time photographer, and he really didn't become a professional stockmaker until quite late in life compared to most guys. He was a very gifted man and a very kindly man, and I was lucky enough to have to met him once in person when I was just a kid out of college, and well before I could have afforded one of his stocks. By the time I was ready to become a client, Bob had passed away.

AD

posted Hide Post
257heaven

Bob Emmons performed the final stock work for the prototype (Control Model Rifle) "Moutain Rifle" for Remington Arms Co.

He was considered one of the finest craftsmen in the industry...

AR, AKA: Augustis ><>

Posts: 18 | Location: Montana | Registered: 13 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"Before he was a stockmaker, Bob Emmons was a full-time photographer,..."

Mr. Emmons did much of the photography for Monte Kennedy's book, "Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks".

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
As others have mentioned Bob Emmons was a very talented stockmaker as well as a top notch photographer. One of his pet peeves were cheekpieces. He just saw no need for them, although he could fashion a stock with one on right well.

I will always remember his tongue in cheek opening statement in Guns magazine when they were profiling several different craftsmen in the late eighties. In the issue honoring him, his opening statement reads "I am the greatest stockmaker of all time. I am the Alpha and the Omega of stock making. I have won all the stock making championships, and, if I should ever perish no doubt the art of stock making shall perish with me"

You gotta love humor like that!!

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote