New
Find
Notify
Tools

win 70 safari 416
 Login/Join

<dickens>
posted
i have a new win70 safari 416 , i was unhappy to find the back sight had only one screw holding it to the barrel. does anyone know why . most rifles have two and i would think a safari grade sure would

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not only did my M70 416 have one screw, it was loose and frozen and couldn't be tightened or unscrewed. I ended up having to mill the head off, remove the screw and then plug it with a 6-48. I am waiting for a Talley peep to put on my mount. The H#ll with that junk sight...not worth messing with.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
<David>
posted
This must be an epidemic problem as Winchester. I had the same problem with mine when I bought it about a year ago. Also check the extra recoil lug they weld just below the rear sight. Mine was welded on crooked, rotated about 20 degrees from where it should have been. Made the rifle shoot about 16 inches to the left of where the barrel was pointed at 100 yds. Also, did you notice what they pass off as bedding compound. Looks kind of like the non-hardening clear silicon caulking compund you use for bath tubs.

------------------
David Sipe

Politicians and diapers have one thing.in common:
They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason

<Don G>
posted
Gentlemen,

You should check the rifles for cold zero.

On mine the zero changed more than three inches vertically during three rapid shots from a cold barrel. After it heated up it would shoot great groups. I attribute it to that welded lug. (Mine was also rotated about five degrees.)

Don

<David>
posted
Don G

I cured my problem by having the rifle pillar bedded and the barrel free floated. My gunsmith said the could remove the barrel and put it in a lathe and true up the back of that extra lug, but thought I would be happy with it free floated. Well, now that I have shot a couple of hundred rounds with it in it current configuration, I have to agree with him. It hits the same place at 100 yds with a cold or warm barrel.

------------------
David Sipe

Politicians and diapers have one thing.in common:
They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason

<Don G>
posted
David,

You are lucky! The trapped stresses in the barrel due to the welding is what causes the group movement when the barrel warms while shooting. If the lug is not square it might affect the direction of movement, but not the magnitude.

Hopefully they have gotten the welding procedure and heat treatment right by now. The correct combination of pre-heating and pre-stress and post-welding heat treatment can result in an almost stress-free weld. I somehow can't picture Winchester going to that much trouble - and if they did, wouldn't you expect them to get it square, also?

Don

<dickens>
posted
thanks for the info. everyone i just drilled an tapped and but in a second screw. something win. should have done, they should work now for a backup to a scope.